Chapter Twenty-Five

He's taunting her.

He's taunting ME.

Jack stood with Barns and Riggs in his daughter's room, his eyes piercing the poor girl's neatly made bed. His fists were clenched at his sides, his knuckles turning white with rage and his nails leaving small indents in his palms, unable to calm himself and his rising hatred.

"He's been in my house..." Jack whispered. "He's been in my goddamn house."

Cassidy was tucked away in his own bedroom, clutching the necklace that had been left on her bed. She claimed she recognized the necklace, saying it belonged to one woman; Scott Galic's deceased wife.

Jack had tried to take it as evidence, but she insisted on keeping it to give back to Scott. The girl was still dead set on Mr. Galic's innocence, but there was no way this was just some stolen necklace or a mere coincidence. She eventually did hand it over after enough arguing, Jack keeping it safely tucked away in his pocket.

Mr. Galic now had her in his sights... and he was making sure Jack knew it.

"Jack, let's take a breather." Barns said softly to the raging man, trying to calm him.

"No, we need to arrest Galic, and we need to do it now." Jack snarled, staring daggers at the man for trying to calm him down.

"We can't," Barns uttered. "This isn't enough to take him in. Maybe we can take him down to the station for more questioning but that's about it."

"Stop keeping things ethical!" Jack snapped out. "Nothing about this dumpster fire of a case is ethical. The devil is the opposite of ethical! I'm tired of letting him get away! He's terrorizing my daughter for Christ's sake!"

"Jack, calm down-" Barns started.

"No, I am not going to sit on my ass and wait around for him to mutilate my girl," Jack growled. "I'm done playing by the rules. If you don't get him, I will."

Barns was silent as he stared at Jack solemnly. He rubbed his forehead, letting out a soft sigh. "We'll bring him in for questioning, but that's it."

Jack glared at him, not pleased with his answer. He scoffed, crossing his arms in defeat. "...fine."

Jack began to button up his trench coat, scowling at the two men as he turned away. "Now then... let's go get this fucker."

_________________________

Scott Galic sat nervously in the small interrogation room, Barns sitting before him with his hands clasped together as he looked to the man.

Jack remained in a corner of the room, leaning against the wall just as he had when he visited Mr. Galic at his home.

Galic fidgeted with his cast, glancing between the floor and Barns. He didn't dare look at Jack, and for good reason too. Jack looked like a bull seeing red.

"Well Mr. Galic, it's nice to see you again," Barns started. "Sorry about snatching you up, especially at this hour." He let out a soft chuckle.

Jack glared at Barns.

Again with the polite attitude... this is the devil! Why is he being so gentle with him?

"Don't worry about it, sheriff," Galic responded softly with a nervous grin. "I'm happy to help any way I can."

Barns gave him a small smile, then dragged the notepad lying on the table to now be positioned in front of him.

"Alright Scott, we're just gonna ask you a few questions. I need you to answer honestly, ok?" Barns began.