5

They told me we're flying in a week.

Well they actually meant next week.

Now I had to spend my whole night packing my case and getting ready for it.

Alone shaving took me 2 hours.

I sigh as I lay down in bed. I can finally sleep.

And then the door flung open "Rose and shine darling, we're flying to the Maldives!!" Mom yells with excitement.

"Oh, awake already? I bet you're excited too." She squeals and takes my hand "Avy we never flew before! This is so exciting!!"

My face went white.

Right.
Flying.
I'm afraid of

Heights.

Thanks mom.

I rub my eyes and get up slowly "I'm so excited." I say, my voice hoarse.

"At what hour did you go to sleep?" Mom scanned my face.

I smiled shyly "Well, packing took longer than expected. I just finished showering...."

Mom sighs "Whatever. You can sleep on the plane. Get ready now."

I nod and start getting dressed.

I am excited. It's been years since Mom and I have went out on holidays. Let alone on a rich people's island.

I finish doing my makeup and runs downstairs with my case.

"You look like you died." Mom says without any remorse.

I smile "You know, this always means my make-up turned out well."

She smiles back and sighs "I'll never understand this blackie phase of yours."

Hah, if only it were a phase.

"Good, you're ready. Great." Frederick puts his hands on his hips "I got us, first class tickets." He breathes in exhaustion from carrying some heavy bags "Me, my love and Jade are sitting together and, Avril, I got you a seat next to Christian. I thought maybe we're too boring and yeah, I think it's best if you spend some time with someone your age." He smiles.

I give him and awkward smile.

"I'm gonna carry these to the car until Christian's done." He picks up two cases and walks to the car.

I pull my mom aside "Why do I keep getting paired with Christian?"

My mom looks at me, judging "Why? You don't like him?"

"No, that's not it. I just don't get why I have to be next to him the whole time."

"I told Frederick a lot about you, and his son had... similar ideas to yours."

"What do you mean similar ideas to mine?"

"He tried to..." She made a throat-cutting gesture "...just like you last summer."

"Oh." I turn around and see him walk down the stairs with his usual poker face, dragging a case along.

He doesn't look like the type who'd do it.

But I guess that says nothing per se.

He was dressed rather nicely. One could say elegant. While I looked like a goth mess.

"Where's father?" Christian asks mom.

"Outside."

He walks outside without saying any more words. Both me and my mom watch him.