012, play along

CHAPTER TWELVE: PLAY ALONG

     ANTHONY MICHAEL VOLPE had been dreaming of the day he would be named the Yankees starting shortstop since he was 4 years old. He had worked so hard, for so long, for this moment, and it finally happened.

When he got to the office of Aaron Boone, there were a few other people there, including Luciana and Brian Cashman. Boone and Luce, who had been chosen to tell him the news, purposely made it seem like he was going back to the minors and he believed them. After all, he didn't have that many games under his belt in AAA, so it would make sense for them to want him to develop more in the minors. But that wasn't the case.

His heart had been beating so fast and his palms were sweaty, but when Luce had smiled and said the words "Welcome to the show," his heart nearly burst. He was the starting shortstop for the team he'd loved all his life. He got his dream job. And he was only 21. He celebrated with those in the office before meeting his family outside. Obviously, they were beyond excited, but even though it was one of the happiest moments of his life, he felt a twinge of sadness.

There was one person that had always been there for him during the good and the bad times. One person that had helped him through the slumps and played catch with him whenever he wanted to. One person who'd never missed a game of his and would always give him a hug and say "I'm proud of you," whenever he did well and "You'll get 'em next time," whenever he didn't. One person that never left him down, until he fucked it all up.

He didn't have Valerie to share this with.

_____

     DINNER WITH HIS family was always great, but going out with Oswaldo and the rest of those who had made the team was slightly more fun. Slightly. The club wasn't as crowded as Anthony thought it would be, but it was still pretty packed. The music was loud, the lights were bright, and the drinks were flowing.

Some of the WAGs were scattered around, but to Anthony's relief, Lila was nowhere to be found. So far. Oswaldo said he didn't know if she was coming or not, but he doubted that. Like a true Earle, Lila never missed a night out.

Valerie was still on his mind, even though he was trying his best not to think about her. She was all he could think about and it was starting to annoy him.

"Stop thinking about her," Oswaldo yelled over the loud music, sipping his drink.

"I'm not!" Anthony yelled back, obviously lying.

"Sure, you're not." Oswaldo rolled his eyes. He took another sip before leaning forward and yelling, "You're being annoying!"

Anthony didn't reply and simply took a sip of his soda. Oswaldo was right. He was being annoying. When Oswaldo only continued reprimanding/teasing him, he walked to the other side of the bar where a couple of other players and WAGs were conversing. Harrison, who he knew pretty well now, was among them and he was about to go over and talk to them when Oswaldo's excited voice somehow topped the loud music.