part 2

About these days, Cynthia had been pondering over her neighbor, and she had little excuse for it. Though her rational side tried to restrain, her emotions were like a runaway train, looping back to fleeting conversations. Cynthia couldn't help but wonder why he had suddenly appeared behind her that day, helping with the payment. Was it fate to encounter him twice within an hour?

    Cynthia's thoughts consumed her so deeply that she only realized her phone had rung twice, and it was Isabella calling. Their relationship wasn't great, often ending in discord. Isabella, sheltered from a young age, lacked tact in her speech.

    Cynthia reluctantly answered, her tone impatient, possibly still miffed about their last encounter, and Derek had yet to reply. "Cynthia speaking."

    "What's with the impatient tone? Still mad about last time?" Isabella retorted.

    Cynthia raised an eyebrow. If Isabella could see her expression, she'd likely make a snide comment. "What's up? Cat got your tongue? Regardless of your mood, I need your help urgently. I'll text you the address, hurry up!"

    Before Cynthia could refuse, Isabella hung up. Fuming, Cynthia muttered, "I'm not your servant, at your beck and call."

    Ding! Cynthia's account received $200, a soothing sound. Cynthia paused for two seconds, double-checking her balance, then relaxed. "I'm on my way!"

    Arriving at the location, Cynthia was surprised by how far it was. To save money, she had opted for a long subway ride. The area even had dirt roads, yet signs of habitation were evident, as the roads were neatly paved.

    Isabella was waving from afar, though her expression was indistinct, Cynthia could imagine her impatience. Pursed lips, hands on hips, she chided, "Why are you so late? What? Took the subway? Didn't I give you $200? I don't understand why you're so broke, nor why your benefactor is willing to spend so much on you. Tell me honestly, did you sell your body?"

    "If you say one more word like that, I'll leave, and you won't see a dime!" Cynthia snapped back.

    "Fine, you're late and you don't want to hear it. Just waiting for your help," Isabella conceded.

    Cynthia took a deep breath, trying to remain calm as she spoke to Isabella. "So, let's talk business. What exactly do you need my help with? You're an archaeology student, and I'm studying law. We shouldn't have much in common."

    Isabella led Cynthia cautiously, guiding her with small steps in her Miu Miu shoes. Cynthia inwardly scoffed, finding her affected mannerisms unnecessary, especially when there was no standing water on the road, rendering her delicate steps pointless.

    "Coincidentally, our only Chinese expert went back to China recently, and we unearthed a batch of artifacts related to China. We've had trouble contacting Chinese experts due to poor signal here. That's why I immediately thought of you. Chinese! And you have free time!" Isabella exclaimed.

    "Just happened to be free today," Cynthia corrected.

    "Doesn't matter. I need your help now," Isabella insisted.

    Having already received payment, Cynthia didn't mind lending a hand. "Sure, but there are many varieties of Chinese. Each period has different scripts. After a long evolution, I can only guarantee I understand simplified Chinese and some logographic characters. Are you sure I can help?"

    Upon hearing this, Isabella paused. "What? I forgot there are many types of Chinese. I thought all Chinese people knew them."

    "Have you always been so clueless?" Cynthia retorted without hesitation.