Retirement

The frosty exhale of winter seeped through a slender crack in the window, casting a faint, chilling note into the room. Within, a man lounged in his chair, its seat pushed back, feet casually propped upon the desk—a stance hinting at potential downfall. Outside, a small fox darted into a burrow, driven by hunger, unaware of the bustling figures cloaked in heavy attire, absorbed in their daily routines.

Honestly, he couldn't ask for more; just doing the bare minimum to get by and feed himself, free from money worries and able to afford all the alcohol he desired. Life was perfect for Grift. He was nearly nodding off when a sudden, loud knock at his door rudely jerked him from his reverie. Losing his "zen," he stumbled out of his chair, sending a stack of books tumbling onto his head.

Grift: "We're closed!"

He managed to belt out in a gruff voice as he ripped the book off his head and tossed it aside before righting his fallen chair. A woman's shrill voice pierced through the air.

High-strung woman: "Oh, buddy, you have no idea! You're about to be closed for good if you don't pay up rent, YESTERDAY!!!"

Her words practically cut through him like daggers. Well, his life was MOSTLY perfect. With a sigh, he gathered some large bills and approached the door, extending his hand to pay the lady. The only thing shorter than her stature was her patience; she sported grey, frizzy grandma hair and a permanent scowl. As he dropped the bills into her hand, mimicking an adult giving out Halloween candy, she giddily scooped them up. Her demeanor softened instantly.

Landlady: "That's so kind of you to pay rent early for this poor old woman! Eggs are expensive nowadays, y'know?!"

With a polite nod, he gently closed the door, hoping for no further disruptions. Settling back into his chair, he glanced out the window to find a little girl peering at him, her expression twisted into a grimace. Startled for the second time that day, he landed with a thud on the floor, groaning as he picked himself up.

Grift: "Well if it isn't the great CAPTAIN HOOK! To what do I owe this displeasure?"

Still irked from the previous encounter, he adopted a dry, mocking tone and exuded an aura of irritation.

"It certainly is his-pleasure to be in the presence of Pitch-Dark Hook the Great! Underworld boss of the adventuring moles!" She retorts, without missing a beat.

Grift rolled his eyes.

Grift: "Just once, can we skip the intro and you just tell me what needs to be fixed?"

Hook leaned in, her voice barely a whisper as she raised a finger to her lips.

Hook: "Well, actually, this is a top-secret mission from Aunt Nat. You can't tell anyone!"

Upon hearing Natasha's name, Grift's demeanor shifted slightly, his curiosity piqued. She wasn't the type to ask for help lightly. What could be going on in his little slice of paradise?