Chapter Three

venus

"wish I could feel what I can't see. Float like a butterfly, scream like a banshee."

the magic - lola blanc

I crossed my arm, pressing it against my chest in a stretch, hissing as a burning feeling spread across the arm. "I'm so out of shape. I went to the gym every day in my other body." I complained as I let my arm drop. Atlas looked over at me from where she was sparring with her twin, Aekos. "Womp, womp, bitch." She snapped before going back to her sparring.

I flipped her off. "At least I make an effort. All you do is sit around and sleep all day." I paused. "And read SJM." Atlas wrinkled her nose, pausing sparring with Aekos and holding up a hand so she could turn to me, Aekos turning to drink out of her water bottle. "I used to read Sarah J Maas. They don't have that in this world. Unless you forgot what got us here in the first place?" I groan. "Fine, Fine. You win, Darling." Atlas raises an eyebrow. "Why do you call people that? I don't mind it. I just want to know why." I pause and stare at her for a few seconds. I'd never really thought about why before. I open my mouth to tell her just that-

Two figures land on the rooftop, one blurred gold, one blurred black. "Hi, Meera! Hi, Aelix," I greet them both before moving to hug Meera and nod to Aelix. "Flight training is going great, I take it?" I say, smiling and tilting my head.

Aelix nods. "She's doing great, if you couldn't tell. Progressing quickly. She can fly on her own now, but we might need more lessons. I'm impressed." Meera's face flushed a bit at the praise. "Ha.. Thanks, Aelix." I bit my lip to avoid laughing, and exchanged a knowing glance with Atlas, both of us seeming to be trying not to laugh. "Already? That was fast. It's only been.. What, a month? Two?" I asked Aelix, tilting my head in question. "Hm. A month and a half, I believe." She said, blinking.

Maybe it's time to ask her about what year it is. Or at least when it is. Aekos's mental voice came into my head, startling me slightly. Maybe. Mavens voice replied, her sillhouette coming up from behind me in my peripheral vision. The mental group-chat link thing was helpful at times, certainly made it easy to talk to eachother without actually having to see eachother. Aelix groaned. "Can you guys not talk in private while I'm right here?" Atlas and I cut her an apologetic look. "Sorry, Aelix." Aekos murmured.

"It's okay." She snorted. "I want to check you guys using your powers. We've been working on these for a while, and I think, out of all of you, Lavanis is doing the best." The black haired female on the other side of the roof stretching turned, smiled slightly, her eyes bright. "Thanks, Aelix!" She called. Aelix nodded back.

Maven sighed. "I wanted to win." Aelix snorted, murmured an obviously, which earned a sharp protest from Maven, and a fit of cackling laughter from the three girls around her. "I want to test it tonight, but as soon as all of you get rid of the dampener and master your power, you'll be free to go. I know I haven't exactly.. Shown you around. But you'll be experiencing the world on your own soon." The girls stood around her, a bit shocked. "Oh." I said, looking at her.

"It's not me kicking you out, if that's what you think I'm doing. I'll be here when you need me. Once you're free, I'll fill you in on who I truly am." We stared at her, several pairs of eyes narrowing in suspicion. "Oh. Not like that! I'm not a villain or something. I'll just tell you my background." A few nods, and just like that we were off, Aekos, Atlas, and Maven joking around and heading down the stairs while Lavanis and Meera were together with legs swinging off the side of the roof, giving a decent view of the surrounding forests, talking about what they were going to do after. I went after the latter pair.

".. Day court. I want to learn... Yeah." I came up from beside Meera, sitting down. "You'd go to the Day court after you leave?" I asked, putting an arm around her shoulder. "Yeah! I want to learn how to use my magic completely. The whole light-thing. Plus, White and gold are the colors." She grinned. I nodded. We need to know when it is. We need to know if it's before the books, after, during, or whatever. I broadcasted into the group-link. A pause of hesitation from all sides greeted me. Agreed. Levanis. I want to go see the night court. Main character moment, you know? I snickered. You'd be a great main character, Leva. Maven said down the link.

She beamed. Thanks, Maven. I hesitated a moment, before sprinting over to Aelix. "Hey, Aelix?" I asked, blinking the harsh sun out of my eyes. "Hmm?" She tilted her head. "What happens when.. the damper on our power breaks? And what happens if it sits too long?" She met my stare and sighed. "When your damper eventually breaks, it'll be... how do I say this. It'll be like all of your full power unleashing at once. Your physical form may lash out and change during that. If your power sits too long... It'll fester for a while. The longer it sits, the bigger the explosion." I blink. "Does waiting longer mean your power gets.. does it get more powerful?"

Aelix paused for a moment, thinking. "Maybe. I don't know completely." I nodded. "Alright." Maven called from the other side of the roof, lingering by the stairwell. "Get over here, Venus. You're taking too long. Even Leva is faster then you." A hiss of protest from Levanis. "Even Leva?" I snorted. "Coming, Coming." I waved farewell to Aelix, and went to join my sisters.