Free

I was panting and out of breathe as I leapt over a fallen tree trunk and stumbled to my knees. It was so dark in the forest and I didn't recognize where I was or knew just how long I had been running. All I knew was that I had to keep running. I had to distance myself from the village. I knew the villagers wouldn't come after me into the forest, not with the Tewase tribe lurking within it. That's what made me even more anxious. When I didn't return to Chief Na-Wakee. He'd send a scouting party for me and knowing his orders, he'd want me back dead or alive.

It's not like I wanted to run. I knew my responsibilities as his slave and because his son was my best friend I wouldn't do anything to jeopardize the delicate relationship we all three had between each other.

And yet... I swallowed air into my lungs, kneeling over.

And yet I felt a giddiness erupt inside of me as I realized no one was near me to whack me upside my head if I fell out of line or whip me across my back for dropping baskets of food. Chief Na-Wakee was miles away on the other side of the forest. I knew he would come after me but he wouldn't do it right away. Not until their stunt blew over and tomorrows night came.

I smiled to myself, kneeling over as my breath steadied. I could be on the other side of YeGal by sunrise. I could be far, far away. I could change my identity and start over. I could... I could visit the remains of my burned village and pay my respects to my family ashes buried deep in the new growth of the valley. I could return home and rebuild.

Happiness washed over me and I felt myself start to cry. It's been six years. Six years since I've lived with the Tewase. Six years of indentured slavery. Six years of bloodied dealings. Burning homes, villages, bodies. Six years of building a friendship forged on late night hunts, secret rendezvous, shared burdens, teasing remarks and mutual disagreements. I frowned.

Could I leave all that behind? What would Yetae think of me? He knew I didn't wholly desire to remain with the Tewase. He took me in on a barter with his father to repay my saving his stupid butt. We didn't know then the friendship we would build. Could I walk away from him? My brother?

I fell to my knees and hands. The tears on my face felt hot and stung my eyes. I dug my fingers into the ground and flung a palm full of dirt to the side. I was angry. Angry at myself for feeling guilty. This was my freedom I was mulling over. I shouldn't be having any second thoughts. I was a man. Young and ready to experience life free from servitude. I've only ever known, do this, do that, quite, stand, kneel, leave, stay, kill. What would I learn being on my own? What would I experience off the leash?

That thought alone had me standing back up and walking through the wooded night.