27

Dear Hyunjae,
I am the happiest person on Earth today for being able to be a part of your life on the day you are a year older. It still feels surreal to think that I am celebrating the birthday of the love of my life. Have you opened the present I prepared for you? I hope you like the...

Dabin's eyes widely opened as multiple knocks were heard from the door. A light pain struck her head as she sat on the bed, totally confused about what had happened.

On one side of her bed, there was Nara's letter that she read before she fell asleep - the one Nara had written for Hyunjae's birthday. But, something did not fit the picture. Strange, was the only thing she could say.

In her sleep, she had a dream. She saw herself at a desk writing the same content as the letter she read. Every sentence was the exact duplicate that had sent chills down her spine. If that was her, how could she know what to write?

Probably because I've read the letter, she assumed.

However, there was another possibility that could fit the picture. Maybe, it wasn't her but the doppelganger who had left the world. Yes, that was possible. Because in the dream, the female had long hair, unlike Dabin.

But, if that was Nara, how could Dabin picture her in that position? They had never seen each other, not even knew each other.

"Ouch..." She tugged her hair as another pain struck, and the knock on the door had become aggressive. "Wait a minute."

A bit staggering as she felt the floor under her feet, for a brief moment everything looked spinning. But, obviously, she had no time to care. Otherwise, Younghoon behind the door would become furious.

"What's taking you so..." Younghoon paused as the door opened, his eyes widening as he looked down at her. Her skin was white - not naturally, she was pale. "You okay?"

"I was sleeping when you knocked," She laid her head against the wooden door while her hand held the knob. "Why are you suddenly home?"

His tense body relaxed, and an attempt to draw a smile was seen. This was the part that Younghoon wished he wouldn't have let anyone else see or experience the same situation he was in. To have Kim Dabin look at him.

Only her presence could've lighted his whole life, her hazel eyes were what had drawn him closer.

Did Hyunjae see the same thing? The thought of the male had his face fell which did not go unnoticed by the female. She faintly flinched.

"I just want to check on you. Are you having a headache again?" He lied. The truth was, he was here to ensure that Dabin didn't contact Hyunjae.

Not after the intense argument he had with the latter.

Dabin sighed, returned to the bed and sank into the softness of the mattress while Younghoon leaned against the door frame with arms crossed.

"Do I ever feel fine?" She pondered as she looked at him. I do when I'm with Hyunjae, was what she secretly thought.

Every time she thought of Hyunjae, her heart wrenched so much. He must have been so worried about not hearing any news about her. The broken promise not only made her feel guilty, but it also slowly killed her.

If she had even only a choice, she wouldn't have stayed here all the time resenting her life. She would never have questioned why all this must happen to her. She would've run to where she felt comfortable and who she thought was her home.

But, she couldn't. The confusion she had about her life was too big and she felt like Younghoon was the only key to solving this mystery although he insisted that he knew nothing of it.

"Let me know if you want to stroll outside," Younghoon said from the door frame. "I'll take you out."

"Why can't I go alone?" She queried and the male seemed furious. "D-Don't get me wrong. You must be busy."

"Dabin, you're still trying to find even the smallest chance to see Hyunjae, right?" He stood straight, and hands pocketed.

"What are you talking about?" She sighed, one hand clenching the bed sheet. "I don't want to argue with you. I'm tired."

Younghoon bit the inside of his cheek at the retaliation. He loved her so much that even when she gave him an attitude, he couldn't argue back. So, he left, closing the door ever so softly.

Dabin wanted to scream. Her chest felt too suffocated. Younghoon was different, not the same person as the one she interacted with before. Maybe, it was her fault for indirectly confessing that she had her eyes for Hyunjae. Maybe, Younghoon was mad for that reason.

She was ungrateful after all.

But, feelings were something that nobody could force. If she couldn't like him back, he shouldn't have forced her to cut ties with Hyunjae even with the reason of 'he made you sick'.

"Right..." She snapped back to reality, rummaging through the drawer on the nightstand to look for her phone.

Younghoon put a restriction on her not to contact Hyunjae, but he didn't say that she couldn't contact Haknyeon.

But, the first thing she heard from the call was Haknyeon's cry. It wasn't a sob, it was a wail. Too loud that Dabin scared Younghoon might have barged through the door to check on her again.

"You don't know how much I am worried!" The boy said as Dabin slowly locked her door. "Hyunjae is too much. Why he never called me when you came to his house?!"

"Hey, listen. I really don't have much time to explain everything but I'm sorry. Things are too chaotic over here," Dabin sighed. "I hope Younghoon will calm down soon so that I can go out again."

"Is he locking you?" Haknyeon sounded stern.

He was already furious when he heard the story about her from Hyunjae and what Sangyeon had speculated about her situation. He really did not want to believe that Dabin was abused but if it ever turned right, he wouldn't hesitate to go to Younghoon.

"No, but..." She paused, squeezing her eyes tight. "I don't know how to explain. It's complicated."

A heavy sigh was heard at the end of the line and Dabin could've pictured Haknyeon tugging on his hair as the frustration jerked up to its max. He was that type of person, always wanting to meet the endpoint at the end of the day without needing to delay it.

Wait... Dabin internally thought. She wondered if Haknyeon was so easy to study because how could she describe him so perfectly? It wasn't that long since they knew each other.

"I thought we could plan something for next week," Haknyeon suddenly remarked which slightly made Dabin frown.

"W-What about next week?"

"Huh?!" Haknyeon exclaimed in disbelief before he facepalmed himself. "Oh... I forgot that you aren't Nara. Next week is Hyunjae's birthday."

Dabin almost gasped, her hand travelled back to the letter Nara had written for his birthday. A smile was subtly drawn on her face - an honest reaction when one acknowledged info about their crush.

"Don't worry, Haknyeon..." She assured. "We will plan something for his birthday."

When she announced it, she was certain that nothing would be interrupted.