IV

=============

"Sure,"

Before I get to say a syllable that regards the sharing of my writing experience, Skipp silenced me by wagging his pointer finger. "Wait, I know something we can do."

I pack my haikus along with various unwritten scratched vellum inside my wide pockets while staring at him. "And what's that?"

...

Evening.

The moon is glowing, and the radiance of its light is glistening against our moonlit skin. Our feet are dancing. Me and Skipp are heading towards the swings, so late.
It wasn't my idea - It was his. He told me it would be great to talk about the peak of randomness on the swings since it will be a silly core memory. The movement of being pushed back and forth, yeah, it does feel soothing when you picture it inside your head.

But, would it be really soothing...? At night too... A memory nothing can recreate.
Clouds were moving rapidly, their dull colors seemingly giving out signs of raindrop. But Skipp didn't care.
Optimist.

"The moon is beautiful tonight!" he hums. We were walking slowly. As in really slow.

"Can we... like hurry up?"

The heartfelt boy chuckles. "Sure, Stone."
He grabs my hand tightly. I was not expecting that. A gaze of awestruck went agleam against me. I don't know why. Feels weird.
"Let's run." He says, hitched breath.

I meant only walk faster; not run... "Hey, hey, hey ! N-not like tha-"
Aaaaand we're running. We're running fast. We are running from nothing but the waves of simple contentment.
We are now laughing.

"Skipp, you absolute rascal.." I sighed. But not that kind of sigh. This one's different. It was... more gentle and carefree. I do care about Skipp. I really do. I just realized it. We are still holding hands, not planning to separate. I don't want to. His fingerless glove gives me warmth.

"Hehe -!" he stops giggling when he examines my visage... I look away. This is embarrassing. "Stone? Are you -"

"Ashhuuusshhh !- I'm... I'm okay."

...

At the swings, finally. I sat down on the left. Skipp on the right. The moon above. And the puddles beneath.
"You know," he began to speak. I listen to his choice of words. "The moon reminds me of you."

I don't like where this is going. "You think so?"
I start to nervously rub my thumb against the bone of my fingers. I hide my stutter, and ignored my surroundings. But Skipp.

"Yeah, I mean..." he looks at me. "Your eyes resembles it, it's shape... and the dullness it normally portrays." whispered he, before focusing back up to the vibrant moon. "Yet, sometimes it's the brightest thing ever."

I stare at him in shock. He is right about my eyes, though. But dude, my eyes are literally yellow. "I... i guess I can see that. But y'know something else?"

Skipp is still gazing at the moon. "Yeah, go on, Stone. I'm listening."

Here goes nothing.

"I am like the moon. Every time I catch a glimpse of my silhouette when its light hits me, it says it all. I'm... very dependent. Like the moon, It can never shine on our own." I feel a lump of nerves tightening as I spoke. Skipp watches me in furrowed eyebrows.
"W-without the sun's brightness, its... it's nothing. The moon's nothing. Useless. It's just a lonely sphere of matter with darkness lurking at the centre. Without the sun, the moon is just... a thing. A t-thing nobody cares about."

Shit, I stuttered.

"The moon will not shine without the sun's light.
And I'm just... a nobody without you and Vinnie. You guys are the sun."

Skipp looks at me, his eyes complimenting the nightly sky's glow.

"My sun. a bheannaíonn dom gach maidin."

Skipp is staring at me now. His face, I can't read his reaction. I accidentally spoke in Irish. "Ah... I...i'm so-"

"No... don't be sorry, Stone... that was absolutely beautiful. It's just... it's so rare to see you like this. Your words, I like your words. They are so sincere."
A slight breeze of wind hints toward us, our hair flowing with it backwards—locked in a brief dance. We just stared at each other for seconds. Until Skipp looked away, fidgeting with his dark red, fuzzy scarf. I didn't realize how long I looked at him.

"Thank you for this. Like, really." I worded out. After my so-called moon-confession, I gained ideas for new poems. I pulled out the papers I stuffed in my pocket.

Maybe,

Just maybe someday, I will find myself writing about us.
Me and Skipp.

"For what?" asked Skipp. He peeks at my side and sees the vellum. "By the way, you're an amazing writer, Stone."

I chuckle at his compliment. I appreciate his presence deeply. "Mhm, still need some improvement." I start writing, not looking at him. "Thanks for bringing me here. It made me feel really appreciated."

"Anytime!"

I've shared what I think to Skipp. Now I want to hear him. I want to feel his words getting at the top of my head.
I want to hear him speak, his soothing voice. It's adorable.
"How 'bout you? How's your perspective in life? Any source of... passion perhaps?"

His expression saddens for a bit, then a smile plasters on his face. "Oh, don't worry about it. Life's okay, thanks to you and Vinnie. You guys make me feel connected and secure. Anddd, I don't think I have a goal to chase, as of now.

... I just try to forget about my past life before I was a scrap." He looks away nervously.

I start to feel... things. "Hey, it's okay. You don't have to talk about it. I understand how it feels."

"Thanks, dude. You're a real one." smiling, Skipp pushes himself on the swing.
I smile, too. I watch him enjoy every motion with the swing. Might as well push myself.

I don't want this night to end. Not now.

"Skipp, promise to never leave me..." i whisper amidst my own breath. Luckily, i was too quiet for him to hear.

He's chuckling. "Isn't this nice, Stone? The nightly breeze feels so refreshing!" He pushes himself to feel more of the force of the swings, along with the wind. It's getting stronger.

"I like you."

That. That caught me off guard. I stop swinging.

"O-Oh, as a friend, of course !" Skipp added, stopping the swing as well. He was flattered. I can tell. I can't believe I made him flattered. Like seriously, what.

"Well, I don't."

"H-huh-"

"I love you, Skipp."

"Hm, I see. I actually changed my mind. I don't love you, I cherish you, Stone."

...

-end of chapter-