CHAPTER ONE

All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed, or transmitted in any form or by any means, including photocopying, recording, or other electronic or mechanical methods, without the prior written permission of the publisher, except in the case of brief quotations embodied in critical reviews and certain other non-commercial uses permitted by copyright law. For permission requests, write to the publisher.

OKAY, BEFORE I WRITE ANYMORE I WOULD LIKE SOME FEEDBACK ON HOW THIS LOOKS SO FAR. THIS WILL BE THE BEGINNING OF A VERY LONG SERIES WITH NO TWO BOOKS ALIKE. ONCE PUBLISHED I WILL ACKNOWLEDGE EACH PERSON WHOSE ADVICE I DECIDE TO USE. THANK YOU AND HAPPY READING!

CHAPTER ONE

"How can you do this to me David?!" Kaaren exclaimed running her fingers through her hair. "Come on Kaaren being surplused is not being fired. I thought you understood." David Burke leaned back in his plush leather office chair. Kaaren looked at David with eyes of fire, "David listen, you send me to that other company and not only will my hours be cut so will my pay, how am I supposed to explain that to my husband?" David closed his eyes and pressed his thumbs against his temples, "Kaaren for the last time I cannot change this. When the managers had their meeting the decision was made based on your attendance. You're a wonderful employee and I hate to see you go, but it's out of my hands." Kaaren slammed her hands down on the mahogany desk, "That's bullshit and you know it! You are the boss of this company and have the final say about everything! How can you honestly look me in the eye and say that to me? So now it's a crime to take care of your sick husband is that what you are telling me? Well I tell you what, that's fine act like you can't do anything, but let me make myself perfectly clear. Do NOT ask me to train another person to do my job because that will never happen!" "Don't be unreasonable Kaaren. No one else knows how to do what you do." David stated in a panic. "Well that's not my problem now is it?" Kaaren grabbed her briefcase and stormed out of David Burke's office. His secretary looked up in surprise as the door slammed shut and Kaaren passed by in a whirlwind of anger.

Sitting in her office with the door shut Kaaren began to cry. Looking around the 12 foot by 12 foot room she called her home Monday through Friday, 8 hours a day for 15 years she felt the walls suddenly closing in on her. How was she to go home and explain to her husband and kids that she lost her job at this building to be sent 35 miles further away from home and her hours were cut in half? On one hand the hours would be ideal in order to take care of Kem, but without the hours and a pay cut how in the world would the bills get paid? Looking at the family pictures on her desk made Kaaren cry even harder. Her anger being replaced by grief for her situation. Kaaren was just about to throw the crystal vase from her desk across the room when there was a knock on her office door. She wiped her eyes and took a deep breath. Unlocking the door she swung it open with a little more force than intended. A surprised Tracee was standing on the other side holding a can of Pepsi and a make shift white flag made out of a pencil and sticky note.

"Come on in Tracee" Kaaren said as she turned back around to sit at her desk. Tracee Holt was the Accounting Clerk for H.A.L. Insurance Agency and had been Kaaren's friend since she started with the company. "Oh Kaaren how are you feeling?", Tracee asked. "How the hell do you think I'm feeling Tracee?" "I get that, what I meant was how are you dealing with it?" "Powers that be scared are they?" Kaaren chuckled. Tracee smiled, "Well David called me to his office and told me you had been surplused and asked me if I would come down and check on you, like I wasn't already headed down here." Kaaren took a deep breath and let out a shaky sigh, "I don't know what I'm going to do with all the bills piling up and Kem getting worse, but David and the others are safe. I can't afford to go to jail right now." "You know if there is anything I can do just ask okay. I love you guys and I hate to see you go through this." Tracee reached across the desk and squeezed Kaaren's hand. Kaaren gave a small smile, "Thank you, I just might take you up on that. I am going to finish out my week here and come Friday I will clean out my office. Maybe you can come by the house that night for a good old fashion bitch fest." Tracee laughed and stood to leave, "Sounds like a plan to me. I'll just go back up to David's office and tell him nothing's on fire and to just let you be. Take care girl."