The Prophecy

"Oh my word," I say, struggling to stand as my feet sink into the soft sand

"Oh my word," I say, struggling to stand as my feet sink into the soft sand. "Are you okay? Do you think you can walk to the car?"

"Yeah, I'm okay," Serena says, taking a shaky breath as her sisters help her to her feet.

"Ah, the final Stabler to have a baby," Heather smiles. "It's a right of passage."

"I'm a bit scared," Serena says seriously as we collect our belongings and make our way to the car.

"It's okay to be scared," I nod, "I remember I was terrified when Heather was born."

"You remember?" Heather smiles.

"Yeah," I smile, too. "I remember being absolutely terrified when my water broke. It's all so new and scary when it's your first time."

"Not really helping," Serena says shakily.

"Well, why not?" I ask. "I'm just telling you that it's okay to be scared. We are all scared sometimes."

Heather unlocks the car, and we all climb in. "Are you having a hospital birth?" I ask.

"Yeah," she nods, holding her belly.

"Don't worry, you'll have loads of time to get cleaned up before the baby arrives," I say. "First one always takes the longest."

***

They arrive at Serena's apartment after a leisurely drive. We all sit around on her sofa while she gets showered and ready for the birth.

"Do you want to come back home while we wait for hospital time?" I suggest. She looks so small, her bag over her shoulder and her belly covered by a long white dress shirt. She looks scared, and my heart breaks.

"Yes, please," she says quietly, wandering over to me and sitting as close to me as possible.

"Oh my baby girl," I smile, wrapping her in a hug and kissing her head. "You're going to do so well. I will hold your hand every step of the way if you want me to."

"You will?" She asks, her head against mine.

"Of course I will. You think I'm going to miss the birth of my fourth grandchild? I would never."

"You haven't missed a single one yet," Heather smiles. "Even after they tried to kick you out of my delivery room, you insisted you needed to stay, and I thank god you did. You were so much more help than Ben."

"She will rub your back and squeeze your hips and just be amazing," Margo smiles, remembering her own delivery.

"Super mom," Serena says from my arms. "Okay, I'm ready to go now."

"Alright," I smile. "I'll tell your father we're all coming home," I say, getting my phone out to text Elliot.

Hey babe, we're coming home already. Serena's water broke!!! Gonna chill at home until she's ready for hospital xo