Chapter 2 - Camping

We set off up the mountain amongst the trees to try and find a fairly flat patch of grass where we could set up 'camp' (a 6 man tent for 15 people and somewhere to set a fire). As we did so, a few of us were drinking cans of cider, some of us handling it better than others. I was normally one of the worst ones after having a drink, but at this point I'd only had one, so I was fine... For now.
After about 30 minutes of walking, we finally found a good spot and as the boys started making a fire, ma and some of the girls (tried to) set up the tent whilst gossiping obviously. Megan whispered "Look over by the fire, things are getting hot." Megan was always quite comfortable to say things like that about the boys even though we were all just good friends, but as I turned my head toward the fire, I understood exactly what she meant.
Jake had taken his skin tight T-shirt off and I must say, that was a treat. His golden, toffee coloured skin glazing in the summers heat and his biceps were muscular as usual, with a Celtic style tattoo wrapped around his right one. Not really any abs to speak of, but he didn't have a stomach either, it was just flat but who cares.
I didn't know about the girls, but I couldn't help but gaze at him in admiration. I hadn't realised I was staring at him until Oscar tried to get me out of my trance "Earth to Rosie... Hello? Anyone there?" He the turned to Megan "Houston I think we have a problem." Talking to me never helps. Megan knew how to snap me out of it. She clapped three times loudly in front of my face and I immediately stopped. "Whoops , sorry. My subconsciousness again, haha." Megan and Oscar started laughing at me and I knew why, but I pretended I had no clue what they were on about. "What are you two laughing at?" They quickly glanced at each other then turn to look at me, laughing a second time. Megan replies "Oh my god Rosie don't act like you don't know. You want a piece of Jake." As Oscar was present I denied these accusations and replied completely outraged "Megan that's ridiculous! You know I zone out sometimes! I just happened to be looking in Jakes direction. God why are you being such a bitch? You're obviously the one who 'wants a piece of Jake', you were the one who pointed it out!" Megan was taken aback as I lashed out at her because I normally laugh at her witty remarks but this time I was furious because I didn't want my feelings to appear noticeable, maybe lashing out wasn't the way to do so.
I feel tears forming in my eyes making them glazed and red. I always cry after a drink and by this point I had drank 4 ciders. I never know the reason why I cry, but this time it was because of guilt. I shouldn't have shouted at Megan but at the same time I was pissed off with her because she always tries to make me look stupid! I got up, put my earphone in my ears and blared 'Cage the Elephant' on full volume and walked away from the 'camp' to be alone for a while. I hate crying in front of people. I found an old broken log to sit on so that I could breathe and calm down and compose myself. As the third 'Cage the Elephant' song came on, I started humming 'Shake Me Down' as it was one of my favourite songs and I feel a familiar hand stroke my shoulder and then make its way down my arm to the tip of my elbow. I turn around quickly and skittish even though there was a familiarity in the touch and it was none other than Jake. He took a seat next to me as I removed my earphones from my ear. "You've got a good singing voice." My cheeks start to blush and it was very obvious as I'm very pale. My voice was croaky from crying and I managed to half whisper and half sound a "Thanks." He rests his muscular upper arm on my shoulders and asks "What's wrong Rose? Hey, hey don't cry. What's the matter?" This was exactly the problem... Me liking Jake. I can't tell him the truth because our whole friendship will be ruined and it won't be like this anymore, so I just managed to blurt out "I'm okay honestly. I'm usually a bit teary after a few drinks. What am I like? Haha." All I wanted to do was kiss him and tell him I really like him but that stuff is only in films right? He then suggested we head back to 'camp' and as I stood up he effortlessly picked me up in a fireman lift and I was giggling and kept telling him to put me down, but he didn't listen and as we approached the 'camp' he finally listened and gently set me down. He then pushed me backwards over Oscar who was in a crouched position on the floor and I fell over him, luckily into the tent on the visioned landing of the sleeping bags. You can tell I'm sensitive. I can go from blubbering like a baby to laughing uncontrollably in a split second.
It was later in the evening, the sky began to fade into a series of pinks and oranges as the sun set behind the valley. I felt the warmth of the fire hitting my skin in the light breeze as we all gathered around it like your typical film and we were roasting marshmallows, drinking and playing games. Jake came and sat next to me and put his jacket on my shoulders "I'm not cold Jake." He then replies "Well you will have it later if not now, so you may as well look after it for me." He winked as I put my arms through the wide sleeves of his usual grey, branded jacket. We were talking about pointless things and acting out scenarios as usual but then the conversation was suddenly broken by wolf whistles and cheering by the rest of the gang. We turned our heads to see Megan and Oscar kissing like no one was watching. I always thought the suited each other a lot and I now Megan really likes him so I'm happy for her. While everyone's attention was aimed at Megan and Oscar, Jake quickly grabs my waist and covers my mouth, I felt like I was being kidnapped. He then carried me into the forestry to where the same old log was rotting away and said " I thought I'd bring you here while everyone's distracted." I was very confused and a bit worried but I asked "Why?"
"This is why"
Before I could say anything else his lips were gently pressed against mine and he lifted me so that my legs were wrapped around his waist to make it easier because of my shortness. My hands on either side of his cheeks and his hands supporting my lower back, we continued the passionate kissing and it felt like it could've lasted forever.
After our make out session, we made our way back to 'camp' and went inside the tent where I fell asleep in his arms. His body heat and his cosy jacket acted like a duvet. I feel so safe in his embrace and I hope things escalate from here. Or was it a one off? Oh my God what have I done?