Chapter Twenty-Five

Shawn's POV

"What?"

"I said I think my wat-" She started, but I cut her off.

"I know what you said, I just can't believe it."

I needed to think fast, Ali has told me a bunch of times what will happen, but I still don't think I'm ready. I can't see her in pain like that for so long, but seeing my baby for the first time will definitely make up for it.

"Okay, let me call my mom." I grabbed the phone and dialed my parents' house number. I glanced at the clock, it was almost five in the morning. My dad would be getting up in about a half an hour for work. My mom didn't have to be at work until 7, so she got up much later than my dad.

As the phone rang and rang, I helped Allison out of the house and into the car. My mom's sleepy voice yelled angrily through the phone.

"Why are you calling me so early in the freaking morning Shawn!"

"Ali's water just broke." I sounded breathless and scared.

I handed the phone to Ali, and went inside to get my phone and a blanket for Ali.

When I got back outside, my mom was standing by my car, the door open. She was comforting Ali.

My moms hair was in a messy bun and she was wearing the pink robe I had gotten her for Christmas.

"Hi baby." She said to me as she gathered me in a hug.

"Are you gonna meet us at the hospital?" I asked.

"Yeah, I'm just gonna get dressed, I'll be right behind you, okay? Ali don't worry okay?" She gave Ali a hug and leaned on her tip toes to kiss my cheek.

"Deep breaths Shawn." She reminded me as she walked away.

"Right, deep breaths." I reminded myself as I got into the drivers seat.

"Are you okay?" I grabbed Ali's hand.

"Yeah I'm fine, I haven't had any contractions yet. But I'm really nervous."

"Don't be nervous, it's okay, just hold my hand the entire time, I'll be with you the whole time okay?"

She closed her eyes and leaned her head back on the headrest.

"It's gonna hurt." Is all Allison said.

"Yeah, but you're tough, you'll get through it."

Ali smiled and I leaned in to kiss her.

******
By the time we had gotten to the hospital, she had started getting contractions. It's been two hours in the hospital, and the contractions have been about 50 minutes apart. So this is going to be the longest day of my life. I hope my baby will have Allison's beautiful blue eyes. Maybe one day I'll be able to teach him to sing and play an instrument. Or give him advice when he gets a crush on someone, and when he goes on his first date. Teach him how to play soccer or hockey, since those are the only sports I played. I do know one thing, I'll always support him no matter what he decides or what he does. I know Allison feels the same way.

Allison was in the bathroom changing into a hospital gown. My mom was in the waiting room. Allison came over to me.

"Can you call Kristen?" She asked.

The doctor came over to her and led her towards the bed to talk to her. I stepped out of the room to call Allison's sister.

"Hello?" Kristen answered.

"Hey, it's Shawn. I have good news! Ali's water broke and now she's having contractions."

I could hear Kristen's sharp intake of breath.

"OH MY GOODNESS! The baby is coming!!" She suddenly screamed in excitement.

"Well umm not yet, but you should come down here when Ali goes into labor. She wants both of us in there when he's born."

"Okay. Have you picked a name?"

"We've tossed a few around, but we're still undecided. But we do know the middle name is going to be named Jack after Ali's father."

"Oh that's good, well I'll be there in about an hour, okay?"

"Yep, see you then." I said and she hung up the phone.

********
"Breathe honey breathe." I reassured Allison.

Her hand squeezed mine in a sweaty death grip. She was leaning forward and screaming in pain. This was the worst feeling in the world. Seeing the absolute love of my life in so much pain that I can't prevent. I have to sit here and watch her go through hours of this.

***

{4 hours later}

"Okay baby you can do this!" I yelled enthusiastically.

"Push!" The doctor instructed.

Ali gripped my hand tighter. Kristen was on the other side of Allison, holding her other hand. Ali screamed and lurched forward.

"Ow." Was all she said.

A nurse wiped a cloth across her sweaty forehead.

"Keep going sweetheart, we're getting there slowly." I gripped her hand a gave her a kiss on the forehead.

Allison smiled weakly and laid back against the pillows.

*******
{3 hours later}

"Push!"

"Push!"

"Push!"

"Holy shit it hurts!!!" Allison screamed, squeezing the life out of my hand.

"It's okay, Allison, you can do it! Deep breaths."

With one last push and a grunt of effort, we both heard the sound of our child cry for the first time.

Allison looked at me through half closed eyes. I smiled at her and she smiled back, tears in our eyes.

"I told you, you could do it!" I said enthusiastically.

"I love you so much." Allison said weakly.

"I love you too, my angel."

We were interrupted with more screaming and crying. When the doctor spoke these next few words, I swear my heart stopped beating in my chest.

"It's a girl."