Chapter Seven

BENJAMIN HELD ONTO the bus seat in front of him with a grip so strong that his fingers started to burn. "Please remind me why we're taking the bus when I have a car?"

"My car's broken remember?" Victoria chucked as she pulled Benjamin back into the seat. "Soo, I figured that now would be a good time to enjoy the wonders of public transportation."

"Wait, you've never been on public transit before?"

"No.. is that weird?"

He glanced out the window. "So how did you meet up with me when your parents were at work? Like way before we could drive?"

"I biked.."

Benjamin's neck snapped towards her, "What?!"

     Victoria began laughing harder as Benjamin stared at her with astonishment.

     "The people here literally cannot drive! Biking in this part of the country is like a death penalty!"

     She leaned on her best friend's shoulder, "Well, I'm alive aren't I?"

     Benjamin shook his head in disbelief, "You're seriously something."

Now that Victoria would be working with the other YWLA members, she had to buy more professional clothes. Often, the YWLA would make appearances at public events, and she had zero clothes that would be suitable for these get-togethers. This is how Victoria and Benjamin wound up bussing to the mall.

Victoria didn't need Benjamin to come with her, but he followed her anyway because everything was more fun when they were together. Both of them had quickly discovered this when they were only five years old.

Benjamin pulled the string on the bus to signify that the next stop was their stop. The two smiled at each other mischievously because they knew that this was going to be a very fun outing.

                                             •••

Benjamin was not having fun.

He was currently trying to hide behind racks of clothes because his insufferable best friend thought that it would be a good idea to strike up a conversation with a guy that he found cute.

As he pretended to look through clothes, he overheard his best friend talking to the sales associate. "That's awesome! My best friend likes that band too actually... he's right over–"

Benjamin awkwardly pretended to pick something up off of the floor, ducking so that they wouldn't be able to see him in the heap of clothes.

"Oh? I guess he left. Anyway, this is all I'm buying."

                                            •••

      In the loud food court, Benjamin ate almost all of Victoria's fries.

"Save some for me! I literally bought them!"

     "This is payback for what you did back there. Your punishment is a no-fries-life for the rest of eternity." He grumbled.

Victoria dramatically gasped before covering her mouth, "Oh no! I'm very sorry sir!"

     Benjamin threw a fry at her in embarrassment as the people around them stared at the two disruptive teenagers. Although, it didn't faze him that much because people usually looked at them that way.

     "You literally have no shame. That's why I'm positive Nile's gonna fire you on the first day."

     "Even if that happens, I'm still putting the YWLA on my applications."

"Oh my- Wait.. Is that Ryan?"

Victoria turned around to see Nile's older brother, Ryan, leaning against a wall as he was talking to who she assumed was his girlfriend. His hands were shoved into the back pockets of the girls' jeans, and he smirked down at her from his height of 6'3.

Victoria shot Benjamin a mischievous grin and grabbed his hand as she forced him to stand up with her. Benjamin's eyes widened as he rapidly shook his head at her. Don't you dare!

Victoria dragged Benjamin along as she made her way towards the older Cadsmith. Ryan immediately noticed the two teenagers staring at him, and the auburn-haired girl stepped away from him.

Ryan smiled at them. "Hey! I remember you two!"

Although Nile and Ryan were brothers, they looked wildly different. Ryan's had what you would call a darker colour palette. Contrasting his younger brother's blonde hair and green eyes, Ryan possessed chestnut brown hair that complimented his near-black eyes. He had a bit of stubble on the bottom of his chin and stood at around 6'3.

     "Really? We were in elementary school with Nile such a long time ago!"

"I could never forget the only kid who was able to beat my little brother in a writing competition." He smirked.

The auburn-haired girl linked to his arm smiled at the two teenagers. "Nice to meet you two! I'm Layla."

Layla, Victoria and Benjamin exchanged their greetings, and it became clear that she was Ryan's girlfriend.

"You know," Benjamin said to him, "Nile actually just asked Victoria to become the YWLA's temporary editor, so we might be interacting with him more often now!"

Ryan Cadsmith's smile immediately perished. He narrowed his eyes and his gaze flickered between Benjamin and Victoria. He stared at the boy with sudden irritation–processing his words, before his gaze finally settled on Victoria. "What do you mean?"

     "Uhm.." she hesitated, "I start tomorrow, with your brother and the rest of the members."

Benjamin stepped back as he noticed that Ryan was clenching his fists. He glanced slyly at Victoria, motioning his head to the side. He thought that now would be a good time to leave.

     "Okay. Good for you." Ryan snapped. "Layla, let's get going."

The two adults rushed off, and Layla whispered goodbye to the two high schoolers. Benjamin and Victoria immediately stared at each other in confusion once they left.

"What the hell was that?"

"I don't even know, Ben."

     Benjamin's eyebrows pulled together in worry. "I think you should be careful."

"What?"

"With the YWLA, I mean." Benjamin sighed. "Sometimes, people can get crazy when they feel like their power is being threatened, and nobody wants something temporary to become permanent."

Victoria didn't fully understand what Benjamin meant, but she knew that Ryan's behaviour was weird. Joining the YWLA was supposed to be good for her, and Victoria was determined to make sure it was.

"It's getting late, let's get to the bus stop."

As Victoria began to walk away from Benjamin, he couldn't help but frown. The YWLA would be the first extracurricular that they didn't do together. He could only hope that Victoria wouldn't change, and become as notoriously isolated as the rest of the YWLA members.

----------------------------------------------
A/N

Q: Why do you think Ryan reacted that way?

Please don't forget to vote comment and follow for more updates!