II. No, it's Not

Windsor House, Callers Morning

.

     Callers had been arriving all week for Miss Victoria Flores, Lord Andres being one of them. Her mother was almost sure he was on the precipice of a proposal.

Victoria was apprehensive.

"Mama he will not propose we just met!" Victoria tried to reason.

"He has been visiting more than any other suitor and you both get along so wonderfully it is only a short matter of time-"

Her eyes went to the servant that entered the room, "Callers for Miss Victoria, ma'am."

Victoria looked back towards her mother, in anticipation.

"You should really think so?" She looked down "we have... a connection?". Her mother, Veronica, reassured her with a warm smile.

"Of course, now, let us welcome them in!"

.

"Miss Windsor, how lovely it is to see you again. I have been eagerly awaiting our next meeting."

Lord Andres entered the room, a bouquet of beautiful dark red roses in hand. Victoria rises to greet him with a curtsy, then accepts his flowers.

     "You flatter me, my lord. The roses are beautiful as well." Victoria tries to take in their scent but a servant comes to take the roses to a nearby table. So instead she hands them over and sits down but before the servant can walk away Lord Andres stops them.

     "One moment-" he steps forward to reach into the bouquet, plucking a single rose from the dozen. He inspects the rose and then waves off the servant. Sitting down next to Victoria, she watches curiously as he severs a missed thorn with his gloved hands. Lord Andres then, certain that she will not hurt her hands, holds the rose out.