Chapter Four: Deadly Dinner

Matre'd was my favorite restaurant. Set on the bank of the Des Moines river, it had two floors: the lower level solely used for functions and increased holiday patronage. With circular tables and gold framed mirrors, the restaurant preferred by local politicians, and important visitors. My father had been dining there since Hannah Gruen's ex husband,  chef Norman Gruen had purchased it. 

My father's table was inside, near the huge windows that gave breathtaking views of the river below. Dad waved to us, and pulled up a chair for me, between himself and Fenton Hardy. Captain McGuinness was already there, as were Chief Ezra Collig and Senator Greer. They were all chatting gaily, onto their first round of drinks. Greer plied me with a platter of hors d'oeuvres. He was an odd man, I decided, with a bald head, shaped like a Faberge egg. Dad had told me before, that the Senator was highly vocal, regarding environmental sustainability, racial equality and same sex marriage rights. I wondered, secretly, how he would be received in my conservative home town.

A waiter arrived to take orders for entrees. Ned and Joe ordered tender Rib-Eye with goat cheese and lemon mustard. I requested the light leek and chicken stock, with herb sourdough.

"That sounds delightful!" Greer commented.

"All our vegetables are grown locally, and are organic," Norman Gruen informed us, walking up to the table. He looked out of place, with his starched white chefs tunic and hat. "I hope you enjoy your meal." He lingered, to talk to my father, and offer him some  vintage Pinet.

I tuned in and out of Joe and Fenton Hardy's banter, Ned and McGuinness's arguments about the local newspaper, and Greer's intense debate over free-range eggs, with Chief Collig. Norman Gruen retreated to the kitchen, after entreating the group to enjoy a free bottle of champagne. My father and Fenton fell into nostalgic conversation about "the old days."

Suddenly, our table fell silent. Frank Hardy had arrived. He wore a grey winter suit, which faded his brown eyes, a crisp cotton shirt, open at the collar. "I'm sorry I'm late," he said, as Dad waved him over. "I overslept, I'm afraid." He warmly embraced his brother, and shook hands with Fenton and my Dad. After greeting the other men, he looked directly at me.

"Hello Frank."

Silence walked the tightrope between us, and I saw him swallow. A small smile crept, with hesitation, across his firm lips. "Hello Nancy."

I felt myself relax, until I saw Ned, who was sitting erect, face contorted in a frown. This frustrated me. After all, I was making the best effort that I could, to retain normality to a severed friendship. Ned had never forgiven me for falling in love with Frank Hardy. But the worst thing was- he pretended that he had. But his pursed lips and twisted hands told me otherwise. I often lay awake at night, wishing he'd shout, scream, cry. Anything. All I  wanted was for the awful, uncomfortable silence to end. I wanted him to ask about Frank, so I could tell him how long it had been since we'd even e-mailed.

I took a sip of champagne. It was icy.

After entree's, we ordered dinner and during dessert, it started to rain outside. I could see the ink blot raindrops shattering the glassy river, sprinkling it with dimples and whorls. Ned was moody, drinking too much. He listened to the conversations, but refused to engage.

"Is that Deirdre Shannon?" Frank asked me.

I started to reply, but Joe rode in over me. "Yeah." He pointed to Deirdre, at a table with her parents and another party, close by. "And the Mayor of River Heights, Lawson. He and your father hate each other, don't they, Nan?"

"Hate's a strong word, Joseph," Dad laughed.

"Not so much for Lawson. He disagrees with everything Dad says, and is constantly trying to sabotage him. Especially now that Dad is talking about running for government."