Chapter Thirteen: Apprehending and Searching

Nancy Drew: I woke early the next morning, and the world was quiet. Too quiet. I climbed out of bed and walked, barefoot to the window. There was a light coat of snow blanketing the yard below, matching the pearly sky. The town was silent and still.

I pulled on a baggy knit cardigan and walked downstairs. Fenton had already left, and Hannah was doing a quick tidy of the kitchen. She informed me that my Dad was going to be released from hospital by lunchtime. I could see that she was as happy as I was, because her eyes danced.

I was just rinsing my muesli bowl, when Joe staggered in. One arm was in a crinkled button up shirt sleeve, and the other hung naked by his side.

"Barn doors open, Joseph," Hannah informed him, with a wicked glint in her eye. She held up the coffee jar, with a smile. "Would you like some of this? You look like you need it!"

He nodded blearily, zipped up his jeans. "Ghtbthth."

"You're welcome," Hannah replied chirpily. "Eggs and bacon? Waffles or muffins? Muesli or cocoa cereal?"

He tugged the shirt sleeve over his arm, and started to button it up the front. His eyes met hers, and he blinked sleepily, yawned. "Wha?"

She repeated her question, motioning exaggeratedly to the egg basket and pulling the meat from the fridge. She then proceeded to brandish the packages of crumpets and English Muffins, then wave at the waffle maker. After this, she held up the muesli jar and then the packet of Coco Pops breakfast cereal.

He pointed at this. "Mmph."

She poured him a bowl, then a mug of coffee. He pointed to the milk and shook his head at sugar. She patiently served him, then checked her watch. "I have to go soon," she warned.

He sat, just stared at his bowl, as if unsure of what to do with it.

We both watched Hannah pull on her coat and knot a scarf around her neck. She leaned down to kiss me, as she retrieved her handbag from the stool beside me, then put the spoon in Joe's hand as she passed him on the way to the door.

He caught her hand, pressed a kiss to it. "Hndhdjght."

"You too, Joe. Have a good day," she laughed.

He took a minute, and I giggled as he finally dipped his spoon into his cereal. His eyes were unfocused, his hair messy. "Late night?" I asked.

His eyes focused on me. He blinked slowly. I reached over and ruffled his hair, washed my dishes and put away the orange juice and the muesli. "You going to be right on your own, or do I have to stay and make sure you don't drown in your cereal?"

He watched the milk drip from his spoon into his bowl. His brows contracted in concentration. "How would that happen?"

"You might pass out in your milk," I joked,

"Oh no."

I tried not to laugh. "Yeah, something like that. I'm going for a run, but I'll be back soon."

He didn't even nod, he was trying to work out whether he wanted coffee or food, and I could tell it was taking up all of his morning capacity to do this. I quietly slipped out and padded up to my room, changed into dark tights and a white hooded sweat shirt with wool lining. I selected some grey running shoes, did some warm up stretches on the carpet between the wardrobe and my bed.

I ran down to the river, then up the main street, to the park. A few people were drinking coffee, a woman was walking her dog. I nodded to them all, and stopped only to take a drink. I ran down to the other side of town, sides burning, adrenalin and heart rate up. It was freezing. I took my time looking at the glassy water, but eventually decided to return home.