Postscript

Nancy Drew: The events of the convention blurred, like the thawing winter, and ran rivulets in the minds of those who lived in River Heights. Collig had returned home, and the Senator's wife had visited the town to thank us all for finding out the truth and standing up for her husband's name. She told us that she would be running in his place, at the next election, upholding his ideals and principles.

Norman Gruen still waited for trial, but had been denied parole. I knew from Dad that the minimum sentence for murder in the region was twenty years. This, with a charge of attempted murder, would keep him inside for some time.

His Mother had put Matre'd on the market, and for weeks I'd passed the "For Sale" sign on my morning run. It became as natural to me, as the flowers and the birds, shaking off the events of winter. I moved swiftly on with my life: the harsh training, the long nights of study.

I realized that the poisoning affair no longer bothered me, as I focussed my attention upon the sea of people before me. George Fayne and Bess Marvin were sitting in the front row of antique pews, clutching hands. And Ned Nickerson sat behind them, avoiding my eye. He didn't look so handsome anymore; just weak, like he'd given up. The girl beside him was sulky and agitated, examining her fingers.

I bestowed my ex, and his date Deirdre Shannon, with a sunny smile.

The light that filtered in through the stained glass windows cast the crowd in a rainbow glow, and the spirited organ march raised my spirits as high as the stained stone parapets.

I felt eyes upon me, and looked across the alter.

Frank stood on the side, eying me with an intense gaze.

I felt my insides do a little dance. Everything was still so new with us. I felt stranded, a tiny island in the midst the tides of emotions I'd once kept at bay. But the looks he gave me, the moments we had when everything clicked, made it all worthwhile. How we would go, when there were no cases, and he was a lawyer in New York; when I finished my FBI training in Washington and became a certified agent? Only time would tell.

I readjusted my bouquet of fresh spring tulips and heard Bess begin to weep.

The march had ended, and beside me, the bride Hannah Gruen was a vision in her snow white gown, which swept the floor. She was eying my father, who stood opposite her, at Fenton's side.

He made a dignified and handsome groom. I had never felt more proud of him.

Throughout the ceremony, my attention drifted. Joe and Frank made excellent groomsmen, and Fenton was a gracious best man. My Aunt Eloise and Hannah's sister Helen were gorgeous bridesmaids; and I had been bestowed with the role: maid of honour.

The ceremony was traditional, sweet, and I savoured every moment: the glistening crystal tears, the raining applause when the pastor affirmed my father and Hannah Gruen man and wife and their delicate, smiling kiss.

As Hannah signed legal paperwork, she looked up at me, tears glimmering in her eyes. "It's done," she whispered. "I'm Mrs. Drew now. Not Mrs. Gruen. I can finally escape the last hold that awful man had upon me."

I hugged her, and we watched the room silently, as our loved ones congregated and shared their joy. And I felt free.

Ned Nickerson no longer caged me, and as a result of my work with the Hardy brothers, Norman Gruen could not hurt another human being again.

"Let's have a photograph of you three," Fenton called, raising an old flip-phone.

Frank slid his arm about my waist, folding me against him. And Joe complained his way to my other side, and threw his arm around my shoulder. I felt safe between them. They were both so warm, and so strong. And for once in our lives, there was no danger.

"Did you buy that phone from a pawn shop, or steal it from a dinosaur exhibit?" Joe asked grouchily.

Fenton ignored him, an evil glint in his eye as he chirped, "Smile and say "super sleuths!" okay?"

As the click of the camera reverberated about the spacious church, I sighed with satisfaction. For once, I didn't mind the awkward smiling words.

It was done. Another criminal was behind bars. And I was reunited with my friends once more.