Chapter 5

DAIN

"Stop spying on them, dickwad."

"Gods, do you ever shut the fuck up, Cat? I'm just checking on her." I shake my head, and slowly move away from the door I cracked to Violet's room. They were sleeping. Probably both needed it after everything that happened today.

"If she wanted her daddy, she'd have called for Xaden, not you idiot."

I look over at Cat with an unimpressed face, making it obvious I'm annoyed by her presence.

"Last I heard, you were wishing you could call him daddy too." I hurl it at her because I know it hurts.

"If you guys are going to make out, can you at least throw me in the closet and give me some earplugs? I feel like that would be the least you could do." Sloane says in a monotone voice from the floor where she's sitting. She's not handcuffed or anything, but she's also not leaving my sight until I know why the fuck she stabbed Violet.

"Don't worry, I wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole." Cat's replying to Sloane, but she's looking dead in my eyes as she says, "If he touched me, he could tell you that himself, but I'd never give him the chance."

I roll my eyes. I'm getting really fucking tired of dealing with Cat. Ever since we got back here, we've been glued to the hip out of necessity. It's not like I was really popular with anyone after the last few years anyways, but at least I had other people to interact with instead of this bitch.

Cat looks me up and down, disgusted, and walks over to sit by Sloane.

"Why did you decide to go off the rails and stab Basgiath's golden girl, Mairi?" She says, resent dripping off her tongue. "I know you hate her for killing sweet brother Liam, but you didn't seem like the stabby type to me." She leans back and shrugs, as if what she just said is in any way casual.

Sloane looks dead serious as she says, "It wasn't like that, Cat."

"Then what was it like?" It almost seems like Cat is excited in a sick and twisted way.

"I had to do it. Violet's not my favorite person, but if she goes after Xaden it's a death sentence."

"Fucking hell, this girl could raise armies to file her nails, I swear." Cat looks right at Sloane with a sour expression before uncrossing her legs and making her way down the hall until she disappears from view around the corner.

Sloane and I look at each other in a way that I think is us mutually agreeing that Cat has an attitude problem. At least that's something.

"Sooo... What did make you want to stab her?" I say to Sloane. It feels awkward that I was public enemy number one to her brother, who isn't here anymore because of my dad.

Sloane looks out the hallway window like she's lost in thought. The rain is coming down outside, but it feels eerily peaceful despite all of this unrest the last twenty four hours. In all this time since I've been aware of Sloane's existence, I don't think we've ever been alone together, or even said a word to one another.

Finally, she turns her face to me but her eyes are still on the floor. She puts her hand out.

"Read me."

My mouth goes slack. I have no words. I just shake my head.

"It's the fastest way to clear me, Dain. Just do it."

"I can't." My voice breaks, and I hate that my own signet makes me hate myself.

"You can, and you will." She looks mad, but determined.