chapter thirty-six

It's been two weeks since the breakup. Hina, Yuzuha, and Momo already knew what happened, and to avoid troubling them, you maintained the act that you're okay.

Even though you reassured them countless times that you're not sad anymore, they still tried their best to cheer you up, taking you to your favorite cafes, going to karaoke after class, organizing group studies, and playing at the arcade—anything to help you get your mind off him. It's just a simple act, but it made your heart feel a lot lighter, and knowing that you have them by your side is enough to stop yourself from sulking.

You haven't said a single word or looked directly at Rindou since the last conversation you had with him. It is clear that he does not want anything to do with you, and that's where it ends. Even though you're still head over heels for him, you still have enough respect for yourself not to force your feelings on someone who doesn't want them.

Yes, you are hurt and angry at him for not trusting you, and for making it seems that your love for him is shallow, but still, you respect his decision. If he doesn't want to be with you, then you have no choice but accept it.

It's heartbreaking, yes, but seeing the efforts of your friends to make you happy and the advice they gave you made you realize that you don't have to beg for love. You are done begging for love. Two weeks has gone by; it's hard, but you are trying your best to move on from him... You're still young, and things like romance can wait. Right now, what's important is to focus on your goal, your dream, and your friends.

Rindou entered the room and saw you talking with your classmates, who gradually warmed up to you. You're smiling and laughing as if you hadn't looked at him with your eyes welling with tears weeks ago. He felt a tug at his heart at the thought of you moving on so quickly, but he couldn't blame anyone other than himself for pushing you away. This time, it felt like he had pushed you way too far that you might never look in his direction again.

That is what he wants... right?

Since the breakup, he has noticed that he unconsciously looks at your room every now and then, only to see that your window is now covered in curtains. After class, he finds himself waiting for you to burst his door open and imagining you greeting him happily while holding your workbooks. In the mornings, his eyes always glance at your spot, and seeing that you're not there makes him feel this ache in his chest.

Sometimes, he finds himself staring at the absence, thinking about you. Your presence, that used to annoy him so much, is now what he misses the most. But his stubborn ass won't make a move to win you back. Just as before, he would rather run away from these awful feelings than face them.

Between you and him, who really hasn't changed?

The younger Haitani shrugged off the feeling and went straight to his desk. Izana glances at you, who's now looking at Rindou, but you quickly snap out of your deep thoughts and go back to the conversation with your classmates.

"Yo, dude! Have you seen the rank list on the bulletin board? I dropped one place! Kakucho ranked three spots up. Ah! It's unfair!" Shion asked, pouting a little.

"No."

"Ahuh, why am I asking you this? Why would you look at it when you know that you're the number one, huh? Ah! to be effortlessly smart," he said, tapping the younger Haitani's shoulder before walking past him.

To keep himself busy, Rindou grabbed his book and started reading. Shortly after, Momo came in, rushing into the classroom.

"y/n! y/n!"

Puzzled, you raise your head and look at your friend. "Hmm?"

She gulped first before placing her bag on her desk and sitting on a chair, facing you. "Have you seen the class' rank list?"