Chapter 1

Ciara

As I sat on my bed, the weight of seven long years pressed heavily on me. Seven years since he chose Julia over me. Seven years since I vanished from the world, my old self left behind like a discarded shell.

I held the last photo of him in my hands, feeling a flow of bitterness and regret. With a determined flick of my wrist, I tore it to pieces, each rip a symbolic release of the past. The torn fragments fluttered into the bin, disappearing among the refuse of memories I wished to forget.

I stared at the unused fireplace, a silent witness to the years of loneliness and inner disorder. Like me, it stood neglected and forgotten, a leftover of a life left behind.

A knock on my door interrupted the sincere atmosphere. "Come in," I called out, my voice betraying none of the chaos inside. The door creaked open, revealing a young man whose face I vaguely recognized from the organization's ranks.

"Hey, wild card," he greeted me with a casual nod, using my code name that had become more familiar than my own. "She's calling you."

I got up from the bed, freshened myself up and quickly ran down the corridor to the elevator.

The elevator doors slid open with a soft hiss, revealing the descent into the heart of the organization. She awaited me on the -14th floor, her presence both intimidating and comforting in its familiarity.

Her real name was Ava Dove, but within the stealthy world of spies, she was simply known as She, short for Shadowy Heroine of Espionage. To me, however, she was more than just a superior; she was a friend, a mentor, but mostly a mum.

As the elevator descended, the distant sounds of commotion filtered through the metal walls, reminding me of the bustling activity that awaited me on the lower floors. How could I forget? Today was newbie day, a day of chaos and confusion as fresh faces flooded the organization, eager to prove themselves in a world of shadows and secrets.

Before stepping into Ava's office, I paused outside, hearing the sharp sound of her frustration echoing through the door. "Ridiculous!" she exclaimed, the force of her words causing a wave of unease to settle over me.

I knocked lightly on the door, pushing it open just enough to peer inside. "Mum, is it a good time?" I inquired, using the familiar nickname that had become second nature to me over the years.

Ava glanced up from her desk, her expression softening at the sight of me. "Oh, Cici, right on time," she greeted me, her tone tinged with exhaustion. "And it's not 'mum' this time."

I glanced at the calendar on her desk, noting the date with a furrowed brow. "But—" I started to protest, only to be cut off by Ava's firm tone.

"I know it's still your break, but with Carl dead, I need someone to train the newbies," she explained, her words carrying a weight of responsibility that I couldn't ignore.

I raised an eyebrow, considering her request carefully. "So, you want me to train them?" I clarified, already knowing the answer before she spoke.

"Yes," she confirmed, her gaze steady as she met my hazel eyes. "Are you up for it?"

I nodded without hesitation, a sense of duty overriding any reluctance I might have felt. "Sure," I replied, pushing aside my own reservations. After all, how bad could training new recruits be? And truth be told, I welcomed the distraction from the boredom of my routine.

Ava's expression softened, a hint of pride shining through her exhaustion. "My little girl has grown up," she remarked, her hand coming to rest on my shoulder in a rare moment of affection.

I narrowed my eyes, sensing the tension beneath her words. "Mum, is something wrong?" I pressed, unwilling to let her dismiss her troubles so easily.

Ava sighed, her mask slipping for a brief moment to reveal the strain engraved into her features. "Nothing much," she replied, her tone opposing the truth of her words.

I shook my head, refusing to accept her false answer. "Come on, Mum," I insisted, my voice soft but determined. "I've known you for seven years now. This is not the 'nothing much' face. This is the 'things are very bad and they're only going to get worse' face."

A flicker of surprise crossed Ava's features before she schooled her expression into one of acceptance. "Cici, I'll tell you everything when the time is right," she promised, her voice heavy with unspoken burdens. "But for now, the day's been hectic and the newbies need help."

I offered her a reassuring smile, a silent promise to be there for her when she was ready to share her troubles. "Hang in there, Mum," I murmured, before turning to leave the office. My gut telling me, 'Today is going to be a big day.'