Chapter 4

Ciara

Stephanie. My best friend since the world abandoned me. I sat by my bedside, my heart heavy with grief and anger, I couldn't bear to see her suffering. Cancer, a cruel reminder of the havoc wreaked by Julia's actions, had robbed my dear friend of her liveliness and strength. I felt a lump rise in my throat as Stephanie called out my name, her voice tinged with pain and desperation.

But I couldn't respond. I felt paralyzed, helpless in the face of such overwhelming anguish. Anger coursed through me, a fiery rage that threatened to consume me whole. Tears pricked at the corners of my eyes, threatening to spill over, but I fought to maintain control. Emotions were a weakness, a vulnerability I couldn't afford as a spy.

Yet, despite my efforts to remain composed, I couldn't suppress the outburst that escaped my lips. "I'm killing Julia Smith," I shouted, the words heavy with determination and a burning desire for revenge.

Stephanie gripped my hand tightly, her tears mingling with mine as she tried to offer reassurance. "Cici, I'll be alright," she whispered, her voice filled with a bravery that belied the gravity of her situation.

But how could she be alright? How could anything be alright when my friend lay dying before my eyes, her life slipping away with each passing moment? I felt utterly useless, incapable of saving the one person who mattered most to me.

And then, like a beacon of light in the darkness, Alex emerged from the bathroom, his presence a source of comfort and comfort. His wet black hair glistened in the dim light, and as our eyes met, a floodgate of tears burst forth from within me.

I couldn't hold back any longer. All the pain, the fear, the uncertainty came crashing down around me. But as Alex drew near and gently embraced my head against his body, a sense of peace washed over me. His soothing words, spoken with a tenderness that warmed my soul, offered a twinkle of hope amidst the despair.

"It's alright, princess. Everything is alright," he murmured, his voice a gentle melody that calmed the storm raging within me. In that moment, with his arms around me. At that moment it felt that everything was alright.

As the knock echoed through the room, my heart skipped a beat. "Is Alex here?" the voice inquired, prompting Alex to tighten his embrace around me. He knew me so well, anticipating my embarrassment at being seen in such a vulnerable state. With a reassuring squeeze, he held me closer, shielding me from nosy eyes.

"Wait out there. I'll be out in a jiffy," Alex called out before turning his attention back to me. Gently, he moved my head back, still cradling it in his hands, and met my gaze with concern.

"Love, why don't you rest for a while?" he suggested, his use of the endearment caused a blush to creep across my cheeks. With a tender pat on my head, he reluctantly released me and made his way out of the room.

Alone with Stephanie, her question hung in the air, laden with unspoken implications. "Have you told him yet?" she asked, her tone filled with hope and longing.

I shook my head, a pang of guilt twisting in my chest. "No, but we're 'dating'," I confessed, my words tinged with uncertainty. "Made a lame excuse but still."

Stephanie's response was a thoughtful sigh, her eyes reflecting the depth of her emotions. "I would be able to leave this world in peace if you and him are dating," she admitted, her voice barely above a whisper.

Her words struck a chord deep within me, fueling my resolve to confess my true feelings to Alex. But before I could voice my intentions, we were interrupted by a sudden intrusion.

"Cici, something bad happened. Your mum's looking for you," Zach announced, his urgency cutting through the air like a knife.

"Thanks, Zach." I got up and raced out the room but stooped midway, "Mum?! What happened?" I demanded, my mind racing with possibilities.

"It's Julia," Ava explained, his voice grave. "We caught her, but she escaped five minutes ago."

Shock rippled through me at the news, igniting a fire of determination within me. "I've got it from here, Mum," I declared, my resolve firm. "Go to my room and ask Steph to get on the computer and get our comms connected."

Without hesitation, I sprang into action, seeking out Alex with a sense of urgency. "Alex, quick. We need to go," I urged, my voice urgent. "Get your comm and gun and take the west entrance."

Turning to Zach, I issued another command. "Zach, I need your help. Get your comm and gun and take the East entrance."

Grabbing my own earpiece and gun, I wasted no time in heading towards the north entrance. Now was my chance. Chance to get answers.