Chapter 6

Ciara

As Alex held my hand during the elevator descent, a sense of comfort washed over me. Despite the chaos and uncertainty surrounding us, his unwavering support was a source of strength.

But as we arrived on the -5th floor, my heart sank at the sight of Stephanie coughing up blood. Panic surged through me as I rushed to her side, calling out her name desperately. "Steph! Stephanie! Look at me!" I pleaded, my voice trembling with fear.

"Ciara! Ciara! I feel like I'm going to die," Stephanie gasped between coughs, her words sending a shiver down my spine.

I felt utterly helpless, my mind racing as I searched for a solution. Then, like a lifeline in the chaos, Alex was beside me, his voice calm and reassuring. "Ciara, Ciara, look at me. Everything is okay. I've called for the medical team. Stephanie's going to be okay."

His words offered a glimmer of hope in the darkness, and I clung to him, seeking relief in his embrace. "Alex, will she be okay? Alex, will she also leave me? Alex, please stay by my side," I pleaded, my voice trembling with emotion.

But even as I held onto him, I realized I was being unfair. Alex had lost his best friend too, and here I was burdening him with my own fears and insecurities.

"Sweetheart, the Ciara I know won't cry," Alex reassured me, his voice cracking with emotion. I nodded, swallowing back my tears, determined to be strong for Stephanie and for Alex.

Before I could fully process the situation, Zach came rushing towards us, his urgent tone cutting through the air. "Ciara!" he exclaimed; his words disjointed in his haste. "Stephanie... Sick... Hospital."

I took a deep breath, forcing myself to remain calm as I addressed Zach. "Breathe, dude! Breathe!" I instructed, my mind already racing ahead to the next steps.

Stephanie was sick, in the hospital, and she wanted to see me. With a smile at Alex, I murmured, "See you later," before turning and walking away.

Noah (Up)

My mind raced with questions and uncertainty. Could it be true? Was the woman I had just witnessed hugging Alex truly Ciara? Turning to my brother Jonah for confirmation, I sought clarity in his eyes.

"Jonah, is... is she Ciara?" I inquired; my voice tinted with disbelief.

Jonah's shrug only added to my confusion. "I don't know. They call her Ciara. She has the same mannerisms as Ciara and I suspect she is Ciara," he admitted, his own uncertainty mirroring mine.

Determined to find answers, I approached the man whom Ciara had embraced moments earlier. "Is she Ciara Jones?" I demanded; my tone urgent.

But his evasion only fueled my frustration. "What does it mean to you?" he deflected, avoiding my gaze.

Frustration boiled within me as I grabbed him by the shirt, desperation driving my actions. "It means everything. Is she Ciara Jones?" I pressed, my grip tightening with each passing moment.

Before I could extract a response, another man intervened, pulling me away from the confrontation. "Who are you?" he demanded; his voice sharp with authority.

Ignoring his question, I repeated my query, my voice laced with urgency. "Is she Ciara Jones?"

The man hesitated for a moment before confirming my suspicions. "Yes, she is. Okay, now stop hurting my friend and wait in the lounge," he instructed, his tone firm. He turned to his friend, "Alex, you okay?"

But before I could obey, my frustration reached its breaking point. Anger surged within me, and without a second thought, I lashed out, striking the man named Alex squarely in the face.

"What have you done to Ciara?" I demanded; my voice raw with emotion.

Alex's response was swift, retaliating with a punch of his own. "You should ask yourself that. What have you done to Ciara?" he shot back, his words dripping with accusation.

I recoiled from the blow, stunned by the force of his counterattack.

But as my mind swirled with questions and emotions, Ciara herself walked into the room.