Break the Chains

**Fern's POV**

4 months, I've been staying in Underworld. I came a hundredth closer to my freedom by the day. A part of me yearned to leave after working my debt off, but I also knew I might be staying for longer.

If I went through with this, at least.

As I woke up one morning, I looked under the frame of my bed. In the shade, just barely in sight was a metal box. I pulled it out of its hiding place and opened the lid.

It was full of caps. There had to be about 2,000 in there. Hopefully enough.

I've been making some caps off the radar for a while. Good thing I know how to handle Raiders.

I had enough to pay off my debt five times over. But I had something else in mind.

At the end of yet another work day, I waited until the customers were gone, drunk or tipsy. The second I made sure the bar was empty, I swallowed hard and went to the counter, where Ahzrukhal counted his profits for the day.

The clink of caps stopped as he looked at me and asked, "And what do you want, miss Fern?"

"I wanted to talk to you."

"About?"

I steeled myself, and held out the box of caps. "2000. I've been helping Willow keep raiders away from the settlement."

Ahzrukhal raised his brows in surprise, and asked me curiously, "You know you have to work off the caps I spent on you. What is this?"

"It's not for me. It's for Charon. This is twice what you payed for his contract."

"Ahh... So you want to buy him?"

I shook my head. "No. It's so you can let him go."

He chuckled, seeming amused. "And what makes you think I would release my most valuable asset? Who'd handle the drunks?"

"You saw how I handled those creeps that one time. I can handle the drunks, and still help you run the bar. Hell, I'll stay for even longer if I have to. Just... let him go."

Ahzrukhal paused, as if he was considering my request. He looked at the box, greed errupting from his gaze, and then looked at the rolled piece of paper that was Charon's contract, hidden under the counter.

I held my breath, hoping he would comply. Charon deserved to be free.

After what felt like an eternity, he smiled, looking me in the eye as he reached for the contract. In almost an instant, he tore the paper in half. "You drive a hard bargain. But you're speaking my language young miss. Just remember. You extended your time here."

I sighed, "I'm aware. I'll work here longer to pay you off."

"Good girl. Now, get out of here. You've got an extra tough day of work incoming."

I smiled faintly, and left the ninth circle, stepping out into Underworld.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

**Charon's POV**

I looked at Fern in confusion as she left the bar.

What happened with her and Ahzrukhal?

As if on cue, the greedy bastard walked toward me with a smug grin on his face. He held a torn sheet of paper in his leathery hand. I recognized the familiar emblem on the corner of the paper. A skull under a dark hood. The old reaper insignia. Was that my contract?