Chapter 2

"It's here." Mom walked into the lounge holding an envelope and my eyes grew wide in shock. I put down the small toy that I was holding for Sophia to play with and went over to her. "What do you think honey?"

"I really hope I did it." I opened the envelope and Mom called Dad from his office to find out. Straight A's. It had taken all summer, and non-stop work, but my low B average had gone up to straight A's, thanks to one amazing tutor whose school notes got me through my resit finals. 

"And?"

"Straight A's." I laughed and hugged my Mom tightly and then rushed over to Sophia and picked her up, kissing her tiny face over and over happily. 

"You did it honey. You did it."

"Thanks to one amazing little girl and her Mommy." 

"Jamie would be proud of you." Dad smiled at me and I nodded. Since everything happened, I had really taken to talking things through with them and I insisted on talking about Jamie so that when Sophia was older, we could all talk about her. 

"I did it baby-girl." I smiled at Sophia and she giggled at me, three months old she was. And she was the cutest thing I had ever seen. "Is it alright if I head over to see Tom and the guys? They all redid their exams as well, for Jamie."

"They did?! Is that why they were here so often?"

"Yeah, Jamie made kick-ass notes, and we all made copies and studied together. She always used to go on to them, once they got to know her properly anyway, in the last few months, that they were smarter than they let on and if they just had some decent notes and took the time to study, they could all do much better. Tom told me the day I finally read her letter, they decided at the funeral that it was the best way to honor her or something."

"They're good boys Nate honey, don't take them for-granted. They help you out a lot."

"I know. I don't know what I'd do if they hadn't taken turns coming over here when I was studying, they worked out a schedule and everything. They even applied to the same colleges, I'm kind of hoping I get one of them near me, I don't want to end up completely on my own with Sophia. I don't want to have to leave her with a stranger all the time. In the day there are playgroups and stuff, but I'd rather have the guys around."

"When will you find out your places?"

"I just have to call them. I want to speak to the guys first. So we can find out together. I'll call as soon as I know."

"Good luck honey." Mom hugged me tightly as I strapped Sophia into her car-seat. "We're so proud of you."

"We definitely are son." Dad patted me on the back and opened the car door for me so I could put Sophia in and the baby bag. 

I headed for Tom's house, knowing they would all head there too. I parked in his drive and his younger sister Megan came out of the house to look at Sophia. She was only a year younger than us, and had been dating Chris for the last three years, and she was almost like one of the gang. 

"Tom's in his room with Mark. Can I hold her?"

"Sure Meg, just let me take her upstairs first. Where's Chris then?"

"My room." She opened her door as we walked past and Chris tagged on behind me, standing beside Megan warily. They had been doing this for months, scared that showing affection to each other would upset me and remind me of Jamie. At first, it might have, but not now, and I had been telling Tom to talk to Megan about it for months. 

"Did you get your letters?" I asked the guys as I put Sophia on the floor and started to unstrap her. 

"Yeah, did you?" Mark looked at me in concern and I nodded.