Arranged Love: Cristina's Story - Chp 1

Arranged Love: Cristina’s Story

Chapter One - Cristina

If you are reading this then you’re familiar with my mother’s story. My story begins with a life I wasn’t ready to give up or change but had to for I didn’t have much of a choice. This would all either be a beautiful disaster or just a disaster all together. I am Cristina Masters, today is my 20th birthday, I’m the daughter of Juliana and Koran Masters and in just a few hours my life would start down the same path my mother took 20 years ago when I was just an infant. This is my story which is completely different from my mother’s.

I’m in training to become a special effects makeup artist. I work part time doing the makeup for the theater in town, part time at my brother Alastar’s auto garage and part time working with my mamma on filling orders from her rather successful online bakery. Not a quiet life by any means, however it was mine and the only I one I knew and the only one I wanted. Tradition would win out and things would change however. My mamma had a degree in environmental conservation but instead has a bakery. She does some work with the local defenders of wildlife now that all her children are older but everything she had worked for changed with her arrange marriage. I didn’t want that to happen to me. Mamma has no regrets about how things worked out for her but I wasn’t going to so willingly give up my dreams. I stared into the mirror brief moment longer before letting a sigh pass through my lips as I turned my attention from my depressing thoughts back to putting in my contacts before heading down the hall towards my room.

Once in my room I grabbed my keys and phone in an attempt to leave the house quickly for a few hours of work down at the garage. Before heading out the door of my room I stopped and looked at myself in the full length mirror. I was my mother’s daughter in looks what with her smile, facial features, and thick hair that fell in her spiral curls. Hair coloring matched that of my adoptive father Koran who was my papà. My eye color set me apart from my siblings while they all had varying shades of green or hazel my were a light golden honey brown just like my biological father Gabriel who was nothing more to me then my mamma’s best friend. Cold I know but that is just the way it was, I knew he was my biological father but just because I share half my DNA with him doesn’t make him my papà. Checking my watch I realized I was going to be late if I didn’t hurry up. Speeding down the stairs I skidded by the front door and headed into the kitchen to say goodbye to mamma. She was working on two different orders that where due today.

“I am leaving for the garage now mamma.” I said smiling as I watched her pouring different ingredients into two different bowls. How she kept the two different recipes straight was a wonder and even more so when she was working on four different orders.

“Have fun Tina. Don’t stay long at Alastar’s garage today. Your party is at four so try to be home on time with your brother.” Mamma told me while continuing to work.

“Yes, mamma. I’ll be home on time with my brother even if I have to drag him in by his ear.”

“Don’t show up all covered in grease or paint either. I don’t need you scaring everyone at your birthday party.” She said reminding me about last week when more than once I came home a mess after working at the garage. It never bothered me but it drove mamma nuts.

“I promise no grease or paint this time. Ti voglio bene, mamma. (I love you mamma.)” I said giving her a quick kiss on the cheek before rushing out the front door and speeding off to the garage that was soon becoming like my second home. I put in a lot of hours there almost as many as I did when working with my mentor and teacher on a set learning the trade of being a special effects makeup artist. I’ve been working for my brother for the last two years. Since he was 15 my brother has been working in an auto garage, when he turned 18 he bought and started his own auto garage. With only six month separating us in age I was right there with him working on cars and all these years later I was still working on cars with my brother. Pulling up to the garage I sighed and reached for the bandanna sitting on the passenger seat and tied it to my wrist before getting out of my ‘77 Ford Mustang Cobra Ⅱ that my brother restored and tricked out for my birthday two years ago.  Locking the doors I headed toward the garage to start work.