Chapter 5- Haerin's Dilemma (Updated)

Context: The events of this chapter take place about a month or two before Chapter 1 (the breakup).

A/N: Haerin's POV will probably receive less changes compared to other chapters.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Haerin POV

     "Hanni, Danielle, Haerin, Hyein, and Minji, I talked to HYBE, and you will all be debuting next month. Prepare yourselves and congratulations," Min Hee-jin announced with a smile on her face.

     Cheers erupted around the room from the tired trainees. My heart rose as I heard the news. All of us had known it was coming after nearly two years of training together, but hearing our debut date finally confirmed felt surreal. My mind momentarily drifted away, dreaming about our future greatness as the rookie group NewJeans.

     We were ready to take on the K-pop industry. We all had potential, and now it had finally been realized through our hard work. With Hanni and Danielle's singing, my dancing, Minji's rapping, and Hyein's charm, I was confident that we would not fall behind any of the 4th-gen K-pop girl groups.

     "I'll finally be able to make my friends and family and y/n proud," I thought to myself. I smiled at the thought. I knew how much effort the five of us had been putting in to get this far, and Min Hee-jin in particular had been working just as hard for our sakes by bargaining with HYBE. She was the one who had scouted me before I became a trainee, and she had vouched for my skill in front of trainers. I felt like I owed her immensely.

     I snapped back to reality when Danielle embraced me with a laugh to make sure I wasn't left out, and I joined the other soon-to-be members in celebration.

     "We'll do great guys!" Hanni cheered enthusiastically.

     "Yeah!" everyone else cheered back. My cheer was a bit softer than the others', but I hoped they would be able to tell how happy I was. Although he wasn't here, I couldn't wait to break the news to y/n as well.

     After that, we all went out to eat Korean barbecue to celebrate our achievements. I was just about to go back to the shared dorms with the girls until Min Hee-jin called out to me.

     "Haerin-ah, could you walk with me for a sec?" she asked warmly. I looked at the girls, and they smiled back at me.

     "Sure. I'll meet the four of you back at the dorm," I said to Hanni, Danielle, Hyein, and Minji. They gave me a thumbs up as they walked off.

     I wasn't really concerned about what Min Hee-jin had to say to me. Today was a day of celebration, and she always had our best interests at heart. She was like a mother figure to us girls, often bringing us messages from our parents whom we were not allowed to see as trainees. Truthfully though, I would have preferred if she had waited until tomorrow to talk to me, as I still hadn't gotten the chance to tell y/n about the news.

     Regardless, the two of us walked for a while until we were out of earshot of the other girls. Min Hee-jin looked at me solemnly and said, "Haerin, this is going to be a tough conversation, but you're mature enough to understand now." She took a brief pause and continued, "I think it'd be best if you broke up with y/n."

     I was shocked. Although she did not approve of our relationship during my first few months as a trainee, Min Hee-jin had slowly opened up to y/n, and she told me that she would support the two of us together.

     "I'm a bit confused... I thought you said you'd support our relationship," I reminded her timidly, confused by this turn of events.

     Min Hee-jin let out a long sigh. "Haerin, if I'm to be honest with you, I was hoping that the two of you would break up by the time you debuted, but that doesn't seem like it'll be the case. Anyway, our company ADOR has a strict no-dating policy. If you want to become an idol, I expect you to adhere to that and-"