strangers

ISABELLA DIAZ

PAIGE HEADED to the locker room to grab her stuff as Isa waited for her outside. God, this felt weird. She hadn't seen her in forever. And, she called her Isa. Not Bella like she said. Isa.

"Hey," Paige walked up behind her, turning around and backpedaling as she headed toward Isa's car. It was the only one parked in the lot. "You coming?"

Isa smiled at her, shaking her head as she followed. She unlocked her car and opened Paige's door, letting her into the passenger seat.

"What a lady," she smirked up at me, biting her lip. Isa shrugged, leaning between the door and the car. "Someone has to be, Bueckers."

She shut her door and went around the other way, smiling at herself. She'd missed these people. She'd missed her.

Isa got into the car, clicking her seat belt into place and looking over at Paige. The blonde was feeling the leather seats of Isa's car. She grinned at Paige's amazed look.

"You wanna connect to the bluetooth?" She offered, clicking on the screen a few times so that the girl could find her phone easily. She gaped at her.

Isa laughed. "My parents paid for it." she shook her head at her, opening up her phone and connecting to the car.

"You're crazy rich, Isa. Ain't no way you didn't choose to come here." she tilted her head towards her, giving a knowing look.

Isa shrugged, starting the car and backing out. She looked in the side mirror, focusing on pulling out as Paige turned on some music. She kept the volume low. She started on the way home, realizing something suddenly.

"You're gonna have to give me directions." Isa told her, ignoring her cackling laugh. It was adorable. What, no! She never thought that. Wait.

"Yeah, alright Diaz. Might wanna learn how to get to your own house though." she winked at her, "Not always gonna have me here to help you out."

Isa bit her tongue, smiling. "Well, I wouldn't mind driving you back every day. As long as, you know, I get directions."

Paige crossed her arms. "Yeah, just for the directions." the two smiled at each other, easily falling into a comfortable conversation as Paige told Isa where to turn.

"I think it's so cool you wanna be a trainer." Paige told her, a sincere look on her face. "Like, I know I joke about a lot of stuff but I mean it. Cuz no way I'd be here without Janelle." she flexed her muscles, slapping her bicep as Isa smiled softly at her.

"Thanks. It wasn't always my dream, but I learned a lot about it over the years." 

Paige nodded. "What changed your mind?" I shifted, wondering what to say. Just as I was about to answer her, I got a text.

cait clarkson 💛🖤 sent you a message!

As Isa saw her name pop up on the screen, she thought about when she first met her in 2017. When she first met Paige.

USA basketball tryouts were always full of the best recruits in the country. Isa had never thought she'd be here with people who she idolized, who's posters were on her wall.

As Isa watched everyone walk in, she noticed a brunette standing next to her. She was taller than Isa by quite a bit, her hair up in a ponytail.

"Hey. Caitlin Clark. What's your name?" she turned to Isa, noticing her stare. She held her hand out for a dap-up.

"Melissa Diaz. My friends call me Isa."  she smiled, connecting our hands as the brunette smiled back. "I love your hair." Isa gestured.