34

IT WAS THANKSGIVING, and while we usually never celebrated the holiday, Mama changed the rules this year

IT WAS THANKSGIVING, and while we usually never celebrated the holiday, Mama changed the rules this year. She claimed we had a lot to be grateful for this year, and with how everything had turned out so far, I agreed.

I was one of the first people to arrive, and I'd spent the last several hours assisting Mama and my other relatives in the kitchen.

Niko and Elle had arrived a few minutes ago, and Mama had redirected Elle to the living room couch when she tried to lend a helping hand.

"I don't know what that girl was thinking." Mama shook her head disapprovingly. "The kitchen heat is not good for the baby."

I laughed as I dried my hands on a kitchen rag. "You just made that up, Mama."

"How's married life treating you, Ari? You cook for your husband much?" Aunt Maria asked, peeking at me over the rim of her fourth wine glass today.

"Maria!" Mama scolded, her gaze harsh. "Today's a happy day. Don't dampen the mood. And put the wine down."

Maria rolled her eyes. "How am I dampening the mood? I just asked a question." She tipped her glass in my direction, a sly smile on her lips. "Besides, Ari doesn't look very sad to me. Dare I say married life has been treating her well?"

"Maria! That is enough from you."

I placed a placating hand on Mama's shoulder, holding her back before she exploded in anger.

"It's fine, Mama. Everything has been fine, Aunt Maria." I forced a polite smile on my face. "And no, I don't cook much for Aleksei. He has a chef of his own."

Maria leaned forward conspiratorially, her eyes twinkling with the excitement of a schoolgirl. "How about his proficiency in bed? Does he satisfy you well? Are the Russians as good as they say?"

I sucked in a sharp breath, my heart beating wildly in my chest. Could she tell that I had sex with Aleksei, or she was merely asking? Did I give her any clues to think that?

I shook my head subtly. No, that was impossible. I made sure Aleksei didn't leave any visible hickies on my skin because I knew I'd be visiting my family. Maria couldn't have possibly known that.

Mama slammed her hand down on the kitchen island, rattling a few pots and pans. "That is enough from you, Maria." She marched over to Maria, who had put her wineglass down, holding her hands up in surrender. "You have crossed the line. I will not let you speak about my daughter so crudely."

"Crudely?" Maria waved her hand around the kitchen. "I was merely asking a question we were all thinking. Ari hasn't denied sleeping with him either, so maybe you should ask your daughter."

"Don't react. Don't react. Stay still," I chanted in my head when Mama's furious stare turned on me. "They won't find out. Just keep calm."

"Go now." Mama pointed at the kitchen entrance, ignoring the murmurs that had now begun to spread in the kitchen. "Go take a shower before we serve dinner. I've got things from here."