I.

If I knew that accepting Mrs.
Delacroix's offer would land me in this mess, I wouldn't have accepted.

I look at my reflection in the mirror and an instant need to break the mirror washes over me.

Why?

Why did he have to come into my life when I had finally sorted out my shit?

Tears stream down my face and stain my work shirt,but what's the point?

I already quit didn't I?

Six months ago.

"I don't want to wear this to work today." I groan and throw the shirt Lindsay handed to me onto the bed.
Lindsay is my best friend and we've been inseparable since the first grade.

"Brown, you never get the chance to look this good. Don't waste it." She squeals excitedly.
I roll my eyes at her optimism.
"Or maybe,I'll slip and fall on my way to my cubicle." I retort and her smile drops, only for a while though.

"Either way, the chances of falling are slim anyways,so try it on." She yells happily and pushes the shirt into my hand.

"Brown,you look good." She pulls a thumbs up and claps. I smile and pick up my bag before walking out of the apartment.

I'm already late as it is and the bus isn't helping my case. It arrives thirty minutes later than it's normal time.

"Take a seat." The nasty driver smiles creepily when I get in and I shudder before moving to find a seat.
I finally take a seat beside a woman and her baby and the baby is just too adorable to not gawk at.

"You have a beautiful baby, ma'am." I compliment and she smiles cheerily.
"Thank you,her name is Christine." She responds.

I finally get down at my stop and make a sprint for the office.

*Delacroix Incorporated*

I clear some files off of my desk and shove them in my drawer when one of my colleagues walks into my office.
"Wanna head out for lunch?" He asks.

"Um...I'm a bit busy Yacob,I'll be out in a few minutes." I respond and he nods before walking out quietly.
I'm beyond exhausted and all I want to do is sleep,but sadly I can't.

"I think....." I can hear Yacob talking but I seem to distracted to listen to him.
There's something off about the files that were delivered to me this morning and I hope the boss knows about it.

"Brown? Are you listening?" He smiles and I just stare at him.

"Huh?" I ask and he laughs.

"I was saying, I think they need to renovate the office. It's about time." He stabs a piece of lettuce on his plate.

I nod and adjust my glasses.

I have heterochromia and because of that, it's really easy to attract unwanted attention. That's why I wear glasses.
It was really hard to make friends in school. It was only Lindsay who accepted me as I was.

"I'm sure they will, soon." He smiles and munches on his salad.

As soon as I take a sip of my soda, Yacob's phone vibrates and he requests to leave.

"Look at that girl's eyes. They're two different colours." A little boy points at me.

I look away and shield my eyes with my hand to avoid him looking at me any longer.
His mother hits him in the back of his head and drags him out of the café.

"Sorry, we have to get back to the office. Don't worry, I already handled the bill." Yacob says as soon as he gets to our seat.
I nod and offer him a small smile before walking out if the restaurant with him.