Chapter 2 - Sunshine Boy

~ ~ Tyson ~ ~

~ ~ Tyson ~ ~

I didn't understand.

I thought I would reject my soulmate on sight, get it over with before I could get attached. That was the plan, anyway.

I saw the confusion written on his face when I left. I saw the heartbreak every time he looked at me, knowing I was just going to run away again. It got harder and harder each time, until my employee Robin noticed it.

They inevitably questioned my behavior, and when I told them we were soulmates, they reacted how I expected anyone to. They told me I needed to face him and that I was being an idiot. When I protested, they blocked the staff door and made me stay. Not wanting to cause a scene, I reluctantly took his order. 

Therefore, when I actually had to serve him, I noticed a couple of things. He painted his nails white, and his eyes were the color of honey, encasing the joy he felt inside, his soul on display for everyone to see. His golden eyes, small canine fangs, and fuzzy ears bedding into his dark curls, marked him as a werewolf. He gave me a charming smile that he must have practiced in the mirror as he took his drink, thanking me with his smooth, velvety voice.

He kept coming back for weeks, and the only things we said to each other were what was necessary for business. My dragon constantly pestered me in my head, urging me to connect with him, pacing, growling with annoyance, whatever he could do to remind me of how wrong this was. 

One day, when Javier returned to the cafe as usual, he looked.. upset. I didn't know what was wrong, but the expression on his face didn't suit him. There wasn't much I knew about him, but what I did know was that this man was all smiles and sunshine. Whatever made him feel like this, I wanted it gone.

I couldn't resist attempting to cheer him up, and my dragon chirped with satisfaction when I asked him if he was alright. He blinked with surprise before responding, letting me know he was fine and that not many people would notice.

He was right about that, but I always noticed him. Instead of saying that however, I opted to vaguely explain that my dragon wanted me to ask, shifting the blame away from myself, though I think he saw right through me. As much as the beast pestered me, I asked of my own volition. I saw his lips quirk up into a smile, so I was satisfied. When he left, he didn't look as heavy as when he came in.

The fact that I could make him feel better through such a simple interaction was astounding to me. I normally found satisfaction in serving customers and helping others, but with my soulmate, it was second nature. It would've felt achingly unnatural if I hadn't helped him. I didn't even know what was bothering him, or if I would have any lasting effect, but I knew that for the moment, things were okay for him.

I gave him my number, and honestly, I couldn't help myself. I wanted more time to explain. I thought maybe he could help me if he wanted to. Not only that, but his joy was infectious, and it had been a long time since I'd had someone so overwhelmingly positive in my life.