Chapter 5 - Communicate

~ ~ Javier ~ ~

~ ~ Javier ~ ~

"Leave me alone," Tyson snapped from the other end. "I don't want to talk about it, and I don't want you!" Before I could even process how much those words cut into me, he kept speaking. "I should've never given you my number, and I suggest you get coffee elsewhere."

I had no words. Before I could even attempt to say anything, the line went dead. I brought my phone down from my ear and mindlessly stared at the black screen.

He doesn't want me.

The first thing my thoughts jumped to was wondering if I was too persistent, too forceful, too much. I asked myself if I ruined this. I spiraled into thinking I would have to be alone for the rest of my life.

But my wolf, whining and pacing in my head, didn't see it the way I did. He had his own thoughts that translated into feelings in my mind that I knew came from him. That was how he communicated with me. And this time, he told me to go find our soulmate to make sure he was okay.

I didn't know Tyson very well, I'd give him that. But I didn't think he was the type to snap at people he loved without feeling some kind of inner turmoil. It's possible I only triggered him, and there was a deeper issue here. Especially after what I witnessed with his employee that he fired.

Silently thanking my wolf for this point of view, I decided I would sleep on it, think about what I'd say to Tyson, and visit him at work the next morning like usual.

When I stepped into the coffee shop the next day, the first thing I looked for was a splash of black hair, my nose already breathing in to catch that scent. Instead, as I walked up to the counter, I was greeted by a young girl who looked much like my soulmate. She carried nearly the same scent, but it wasn't his.

"What can I get for you today?" She greeted me with a smile. Her apron said Max. I wanted a coffee, but there were more pressing matters to get to.

"I'm actually looking for Tyson," I explained. "Is he in today?"

She frowned, looking me up and down for a moment. "No. My brother will be in this afternoon. Why?" Brother. That explains a lot.

"It's complicated," I shook my head. "My name is Javier, and I'm his soulmate. I just want to make sure he's okay."

"Oh," Max blinked, as if she had no idea her brother had met his soulmate. "Well, shit. I think he went to the forest last night, probably slept in a tree again," she rolled her eyes, though her lips, covered neatly with purple lipstick, twitched up into a smile.

I couldn't help but smile. I supposed that was something Tyson would do, though I didn't know him as well as I wanted to. "Which forest?" I asked.

"You have to go to Woodmere," she said. "It's a neighborhood just outside the city. We have a cottage there, but there's a forest behind. He probably went there."