prologue

In Quantico, Virginia, working for the BAU was one of the best decisions of your life. The team was like a family made of weirdos who knew you too well for your own good. And you never imagined that there would be the day where that would end. Your job, your schedule, your life as you know it- would end.

After three consecutive years being one of the youngest agents, you learned how important it was for you guys to stick together. You, JJ, Garcia, and Spencer.

Jennifer Jareau was the mother of the group that kept you all in line. Penelope Garcia was the ball of sunshine that always made sure you never forgot that the world can feel light and colorful. Doctor Spencer Reid was the most consistent friend who brought wonder into your lives.

And you, you were the glue that kept everyone together.

Rossi was the grandpa that let you guys screw around while alcohol was involved. Hotch was the strict father that never let things go too far. Emily was the mother that amusingly watched and instigated on a few counts. And Morgan was the fun uncle that instigated with no shame.

You were incredulously happy, as far as anyone else was concerned. Despite the horrors of your job. They pushed away the darkness that consumed your everyday lives.

But you always wondered late at night, whether that be at your desk burning the midnight oil filing paperwork after a case or in your apartment trying to get through another restless night... what would be your breaking point where that would change?

And so it began the relentless spiderwebs of scenarios and what-ifs. Would it be a person, a situation, a change of environment, or a midlife crisis? It starts. It ends. It'll never happen so why does it bother you? Would you blame yourself? Would there be someone to blame? Would it change the fact that it happened if there was something or someone at the other side of your finger? Would you... would it?

And that's what you liked to call, your "mindweb".

And no matter how that cycle started or how long it would take, the last remaining question always made you sit up straight in fear.

Have you really seen all the horrors out in the world to the point where there is no breaking point?

And you'd finalize with never.
You'd never know if you've seen it all 'til you see the next new horror and the next and so on so forth.

Because it wouldn't be fair. It would never be fair to someone who really knows what goes bump in the night.

(:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅[̲̅:♡:]̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅)

Author speaks!!
There will be a POV change, it's important because it shows a change in your perspective. Please leave comments and share your ideas about the book so far. Prologues are so boring yet so important. Much love<3