Chapter 8

The remainder of the holiday at Malfoy Manor was a vibrant mix of wintry activities and festive relaxation. The days passed in a blur of laughter and light-hearted competition, from spirited snowball fights in the Manor's expansive grounds to quiet evenings spent playing wizard chess and exchanging stories by the fire. Draco proved to be a generous host, ensuring that the manor was both a playground and a sanctuary for his friends during their stay. Each day brought new delights, from elaborate dinners prepared by the house elves to late-night explorations of the Manor's less-traveled corridors and secret rooms.

As Christmas approached, the atmosphere brimmed with a festive spirit, the manor beautifully decorated with enchanted snowflakes that floated gently down from the ceilings, disappearing just before they hit the ground, and mistletoe that mischievously moved to position itself above unsuspecting pairs. Despite the magical setting, Sara found herself gradually letting go of her worries about the soulmate revelation. With no immediate answers and nothing more to go on, she chose to immerse herself in the joy and companionship of the moment, pushing her concerns to the back of her mind.

When it was time to leave the Malfoys and head to Mattheo's home for Christmas Day, the transition was smooth. The Riddle residence, while less grandiose than the Malfoy Manor, was steeped in an elegance of its own. Mattheo welcomed Sara warmly, sensing perhaps that she needed a friend more than anything during the holiday.

He showed her to her room—a cozy space with a large, inviting bed and windows that looked out over a snow-covered garden. "I hope you'll be comfortable here," Mattheo said, his tone sincere. "Thank you for coming. I know it's not home, but I hope it feels close."

Sara smiled, her heart lightened by the gesture and the genuine warmth in his voice. "Thank you, Mattheo. Really, I appreciate it. After hearing that my parents wouldn't be around, I wasn't sure what I'd do for Christmas. This means a lot."

"Of course," he replied with a casual shrug, though his eyes reflected a deeper understanding. "Can't have you spending Christmas alone, can we? Besides, it's more fun with friends."

"That's true," Sara smiled. "I'm going to get changed, then I'm gonna kick your ass in Wizard's Chess."

"You wish," Mattheo replied, giving her a cheeky grin. He was going to let his pride take over when they played and beat her at least once in their little competition.

"I'll be waiting for you in the study," he said nonchalantly before leaving the room.

Sara changed into an oversized cable knit sweater and a pair of blue jeans, pulling her hair back into a ponytail before joining Mattheo in the study.

She sat across from him at the table.

"Wait, which color goes first again?" she asked as she looked down at the white pieces arranged before her.

As she asked her question, Mattheo rolled his eyes playfully -- he was surprised that she never remembered the rule of the first move. And also, he couldn't help but notice the casual way she was dressed. She looked really cute.

"For the last time, always white first. Is this going to be a regular thing? Are you going to ask me every single time?" he teased, amused at her forgetfulness.

"Probably," Sara shrugged. "Hmm...Pawn to E4." Sara made her first moved and watched as her pawn moved on its own to the desired position.

Mattheo chuckled. "Good move. Pawn to E5 for me."

Sara tapped her finger on her chin. "Bishop to C4," she finally decided.

"Bishop to C5," Mattheo replied as his bishop piece moved across the board.