debt

Brandon felt no concern for Joe Manni.

At least since they left the underground theater last night, they had been out of the sight of the Holy Grail Society. As long as Joe didn't return home, evading pursuit wasn't difficult.

Brandon wouldn't actively seek retribution against the Holy Grail Society for his personal grievances.

The risk of challenging unknown enemies was too great. Brandon, now a merchant, abhorred instability. He preferred to maintain an unknown and peaceful relationship with the Holy Grail Society.

However, he wondered what the other party was thinking.

After cleaning the first floor, he went upstairs, brewed a pot of black tea for himself, and then spread out a sheet of writing paper on the table, ready to compose a letter.

The fountain pen soaked up the ink, leaving curves on the paper

"My esteemed..."

"Dog excrement!"

Brandon Alderfer leaned back heavily, intending to rest for two minutes before writing another letter.

If it weren't absolutely necessary, he wouldn't seek help from Crystal.

She was the wife of his deceased elder brother, Ullan Alderfer, and a detestable narcissist.

After Ullan's death, Brandon wrote a letter asking her to raise their daughter well and to avoid remarrying unless she found a reputable gentleman, to prevent a negative influence on the child from a stepfather. However, the letter was misinterpreted.

This suspicion developed to the point where Crystal would refuse his visits mentioned in the letter but accept the money he sent.

Thanks to her, Brandon still had no idea what his niece, Donna Alderfer, looked like.

Thinking of her face, Brandon felt an urge to throw darts.

Sadly, she was now the only person he could trust.

Crystal had undergone full nun training at the convent, perhaps she could answer his questions—about the significance of extraordinary things, and about the White See's interpretation and handling of them.

With a long sigh, Brandon cautiously picked up his pen, intending to blur the questions he encountered and associate them with a newly thought-of friend's name, expressing his surprise at witnessing the extraordinary world, and gradually leading the conversation from there...

The teapot emptied unnoticed, and the writing paper was nearly filled.

Only when he began to write did he realize that the questions he wanted to ask had multiplied several times from his initial considerations.

After checking the content to ensure there was nothing that Crystal might misunderstand, he sealed the paper in an envelope, ready to write the address and recipient's name.

His hand paused suddenly as he turned to look at the window.

The scent he had smelled only yesterday wafted in.

"Mr. Alderfer, there's someone looking for you," Charlotte's voice came from outside the door.

Brandon acknowledged and set the pen down, then retrieved a revolver from the drawer and tucked it into the belt around his waist,concealing it with his clothing.

During his service in Loren, he had only used outdated equipment. He was unfamiliar with the newer firearms, but the revolver was an easy-to-handle new weapon. Six shots were enough to compensate for its lack of accuracy and excessive recoil.