Part 23 : Puzzled past

The tournament has started now and Ethan's team has started winning the matches too. His team wins every single match with a large margin and no one is able to stop Ethan from getting into finals.
The semi final ends too, it's now official that Ethan's defending champions team is playing the final with the defending runner ups.

Final match day:

Ethan's team and the other team are getting ready for the match. The players are given some energy drinks and they are told not to waste any energy.
After some time, the match starts and they start playing.

After 12 minutes, it's interval now and all the players are given drinks and physical care.
Ethan team is leading with 4-2.

The other team's leader, whose name is Corin, is a real good narcissist and has quite of a temper. He doesn't like when someone else does better than him. And it is pretty obvious that he didn't like Ethan too.
Corin was also academically excellent, he also used to top his batch. Ethan was always better than him and he was extremely jealous of Ethan.

After the 2nd quarter, Corin's team was leading with 5-6.
Corin comes to Ethan, smirks at Ethan and ruffles his hair. Of course Ethan would get raged and he decides to give even more efforts.

After the 3rd quarter gets over, Ethan team leads again  with 9-6 and the gap is a little prominent.
It is now difficult for Corin's team to take the lead again or win. Corin gets furious and doesn't say anything during the interval.
All the players are given physical care along with some energy drinks.

After some time, they continue their match.

"Hey pass it here!"
"Pass!"
Swooshhh!
"Yes here too!"
Swoooshhhh!
"Mine"

All of a sudden a thud sound is heard and it turns out to be Ethan, who collapsed on the floor.
The match is paused and the medical staff are called when Ethan doesn't wake up.
Ethan is taken to the school's healthcare room and he was laid on the bed. Some necessary emergency aid is provided but still he doesn't wake up even after some time so he is taken to the hospital.

In the meantime, the officials decide to resume the match because there is no way Ethan would come back before night time. The substitute is included in the team and the match continues.

Corin's team takes the lead again and they are able to defeat Ethan's team. At the end, Corin's team gets victory and his team holds the title of new champions.

At the hospital:

Ethan wakes up after 2 hours and the first thing he sees is his brother who is sitting beside him on a chair.

"Ethan! Are you awake? You're good?"
"Ah.. yes.. but what happened?"
"You fainted... during the match.."
"Oh yes, what happened to the match..."
"The other team won..."

Ethan gets highly disappointed and blames himself for everything.
"I'm to blame... it happened because of me only..."
"Of course not! What would you blame yourself?! It's not your fault, not at all!"

Meanwhile the doctor comes and talks to them.
"Are you a family member of Ethan?"
"Yes, I'm his brother."
"Alright I think I need to tell you something!"

They come outside and the doctors tell him something which shook his mind.
"We took his blood sample for testing and what we found was something really strange."
"What do you mean doctor?"
"We found some amount of opioids in his blood, which is a harmful drug.... I think you already know what I'm talking about."
"How... he isn't someone who does drugs."
"I don't know anything about that but yes, you should take necessary steps towards it."
"Alright..."

Chris enter the room to talk with Ethan.
"Ethan.."
"What did the doctor say?"
"They found opioids in your blood..."
"What?!!!"
"But... I don't do drugs... trust me Chris!! Trust me!!!"
"Of course I know you more than anyone else!"

Ethan starts getting panicked and Chris consoles him.
"Don't worry Ethan, we'll sort it out."
Ethan nods to Chris.
"Did you eat or drink anything strange today?"
"Umm.. No I don't think so... all I had was energy drinks the whole day..."
"Then how did it happen..."
"I don't know Chris..."
"Maybe someone adulterated with your drinks.. Do you think someone did it on purpose?"
"No I don't thi- ohh! Wait! I think I know..."
"Who?"
"Probably Corin..."
"Corin?! The leader of the other team?"
"Yes... you don't know him... he would go lengths to fulfill his wish.... And he hates me too."
"But why would he do so?!"
"To get the trophy, of course, his team never got the title of championship and he was always hungry for it..."
"So you're saying he would go above and beyond just for a trophy?"
"Yes... he is really a manic... but not everyone knows his negative side... usually people know him as an ideal student only..."
"Are you being serious right now?!"
"Yes... and the main part... he is a cruel school bully too.. but no one actually believes this... even I didn't believe this until I saw something happening..."
"And what is that?"
"Once I went to a convenience store near his school to purchase my favourite chips as it wasn't available near my house or school. After purchasing, I was on my way to home and I saw him hitting a junior kid with his belt and that kid was literally crying for help but nobody cared. I was watching all this secretly and my chips packet fell which made an obvious noise and I got busted. He came to me and told me not to interfere and tell anyone about what I saw..."
"Then?!"
"I told him to let that kid go and I won't tell anyone... but he was like..."
....
"Don't you think you are interfering too much?"
"I just told you a small thing, why are you making a fuss about it?! Let that kid go and we're neutral."
"Do you think you can handle me?"
"And if I can?"
"Corin punches Ethan's face and his cheeks started bleeding because of the sharp ring that coring was wearing."
"Damn why would you wear such a creep ring?!"
"It's none of your business."
"Corin goes for another punch but is blocked by Ethan this time and Ethan kicks his knee and he falls down with pain."
"Keep your temper with yourself only, don't try to act bossy.", Ethan warns Corin.
"Hey kid.. go back to your class or home.. whatever."
The kid runs away as soon as possible.
Ethan goes back to his home as well.
"You'll pay for it Ethan..."