11. Samjhauta?

Neelamma gently placed her hand on Prerna's shoulder, her eyes reflecting years of wisdom and care.
"Prerna, dear, would you mind taking Rishav his tiffin after dropping Nayan off at school?"
she asked, her voice soft but firm.

Prerna nodded, checking if Nayan had taken everything.
"Of course, Amma,"
she replied, a hint of curiosity in her voice.
"Is everything alright?"

As they walked towards the door, Neelamma spoke again, her tone tinged with concern.
"Nayan is growing up so fast, and you both, my dear, need space too,"
she said, her gaze gentle yet penetrating.
"You've taken on so much responsibility, but don't forget to nurture your own happiness."

Confusion flickered across Prerna's face as she turned to face her grandmother-in-law.
"What do you mean, Amma?"
She asked, her brow furrowing with uncertainty.

Neelamma sighed, her eyes filled with a mixture of affection and urgency.
"I mean to say, my child, that accepting responsibility is one thing, but embracing the bond that ties you and Raja Ji together is equally important,"
she explained, her words carrying the weight of experience.
"You're not just co-parents; you're husband and wife, partners in this journey of life. And love, my dear, should not be kept at arm's length."

Prerna's heart skipped a beat, the gravity of Neelamma's words sinking in. Her eyes widened as she looked towards their shared bedroom.
"Amma! Stop! Nayan is just in the next room,"
She whispered, her voice barely audible over the rustle of the morning breeze.

Neelamma reached out, gently cupping Prerna's face in her hands.
"Every drama has its final act, Prerna,"
she said, her voice tender yet resolute.

"Make this relationship true, for both your sakes. Without love, without commitment, what is a family but an empty shell?"

Prerna's mind drifted back to that moment in the hospital room, where the echoes of the past mingled with the present.

The memory of Rishav's gentle touch and caring gestures flooded her thoughts, warming her heart even as a faint pang of uncertainty lingered within her. The nurse's words of praise for Rishav had resonated in her ears like a comforting melody, reaffirming the bond that had begun to blossom between father and daughter.

---

In the quiet hospital room, amidst the soft glow of dawn, Rishav stood by Nayan's crib, his eyes filled with wonder and tenderness as he cradled the newborn in his arms. The nurse, with a warm smile, approached them, her admiration evident in her voice.
"Your baby is truly lucky to have such a caring father,"
she remarked, her words echoing the sentiments Prerna had often felt but rarely expressed.

Rishav's gaze shifted to Prerna, his expression a mix of adoration and uncertainty. As the nurse handed him the birth certificate form, he hesitated, his fingers tracing the edges of the paper, a silent plea for guidance.

Sensing his inner turmoil, Prerna took a step closer, her heart swelling with emotion, her voice trembling yet resolute.

"Rishav Ji,"
she whispered, her words infused with hope and longing,
"will you be my baby's father Ji? You've already proven yourself to be a good person and a loving father. Will you take on this role officially?"

Tears welled up in Rishav's eyes as he gazed into Prerna's earnest gaze, his resolve wavering under the weight of her words.

"I... I want to,"
he choked out, his voice thick with emotion.
"But... but what if I'm not enough? What if I can't be the father she deserves?"

Prerna's hand reached out to gently hold his hand in her own, her touch a soothing balm to his troubled soul.
"You are more than enough, Sharma Ji,"
she assured him, her voice filled with conviction.
"You've already shown me just how much you love my baby. You have been here with my baby, taking care of her, doing skin to skin with her for days before I was finally able to sit up by myself and allowed to hold her. You could have easily left her with the nurses and went about your life and job, coming here occasionally to visit, but you didn't. You stayed here, you cared for her, for me, you used up your hard earned money and savings for me and my baby. At this point, she is my baby only biologically, in every other senses she is your baby. Don't doubt yourself. I have faith in you. I know you can do this. I know, together, we can do this."