I. sleep? that's for the weak

CHAPTER ONE:
sleep? that's for the weak.

CHAPTER ONE:sleep? that's for the weak

CAROLINA MYERS DREAMS WEREN'T NORMAL.

No, they weren't about being naked in public or having your teeth fall out; instead, they were bone-chilling terrors that would leave her with sweaty clothes and pooling eyes of fear.

The previous night hadn't been any different; it was the same old that awoke her before her alarm could.

Talk about a good night's rest, right?

"You look like shit," A female voice said from her right, causing the redhead to roll her eyes. "Did you pull an all-nighter again?"

A girl with long locks of dark hair joined her, the brown eyes on her judgmental complexion mirroring Carolina's.

With a raised hand, she rubbed off the leftover toothpaste smeared across her lower lip. "Do you ever shut up? I got 4 hours of sleep."

"Why can't you be normal and try to get sleep like everyone else?" Despite her attitude, Carolina knew that her best friend cared. But caring in general and at 8 a.m. on a drafty day were two different things.

"Are you going to drink that?" She changed the topic by pointing at the beverage in Mallory's hand, taking it out of her fingers despite the Latina's protest. "You spend 8 dollars on these things but never finished them."

Carolina wasn't much of a morning person or a social person, for that matter, leaving it to the other girl to strike up a conversation. It's one of the reasons the redhead thought that Mallory would benefit from a piece of tape around her mouth. Yet, she somehow liked the girl too much to do that, for now at least.

"Shouldn't you should be thinking about who's going to look after Benjamin while you visit your parents?" Carolina questioned, watching the other girl's face rollover with annoyance.

"I was hoping you could watch him since you never do anything on the weekends," Mallory said, lacking eye contact while asking.

"You're joking, right?" Carolina pressed her lips together when Mallory shook her head, then scoffed at her audacity. "You can't get someone else to watch him?"

Mallory's ears flush out of embarrassment, looking down at the tiled floor beneath them. "But he likes you! And it's only three days; it's not like I'm leaving you to watch him for a whole week."

"That doesn't mean I want to watch him in the first place!" Carolina stated, feeling her back molars grit against her teeth and the clenching of her jaw moments later. "He doesn't like me. The last time I watched him, he went onto the neighbors' balcony and almost suicide jumped off of it."

"He's an old cat, give him a chance!"

"He had a death wish! Don't they have a policy against pets here anyway?"