Weathering the Storm

Hi! So sorry for the late update, I was busy with school and all that, but I hope you enjoy my one-shot :)

Content warning: This one-shot contains an argument with raised voices.
_____________________________________
The clock on the mantel chimed midnight as Taylor paced the floor of the dimly lit living room, her fingers anxiously tapping against the fabric of her sleeve. Her boyfriend, Travis, was late coming home, and she couldn't shake the uneasy feeling that had settled in the pit of her stomach.

Glancing down at her phone, Taylor scrolled through the growing list of unanswered calls and texts. With each passing minute, her worry only intensified. Just as she was about to dial his number once more, the front door creaked open, and Travis stepped inside.

"There you are!" Taylor exclaimed, relief and frustration mingling in her voice. "I've been calling you for hours, Trav. Where have you been?"

Travis flinched at the sharpness of her tone, his brow furrowing. "I'm sorry, Tay. I, uh, got held up at the office. There was an emergency with one of the guys, and I had to take care of it."

Taylor's eyes narrowed, her arms crossing defensively over her chest. "The office? Travis, it's midnight. Why didn't you call me to let me know you'd be late?"

Exhaling heavily, Travis ran a hand through his hair, his expression a mix of fatigue and irritation. "I'm sorry, okay? I didn't mean to worry you. I just got caught up, and before I knew it, it was this late."

Taylor's voice rose in pitch, the worry and frustration evident in her tone. "Caught up? Travis, you had me sitting here, wondering if something had happened to you. I called you so many times, and you didn't pick up. Do you have any idea how worried I was?"

Sensing the tension in the room, Travis's own frustration began to bubble to the surface. "Look, I know you were worried, but I'm fine, Tay. I'm a grown man, and I can take care of myself. You don't need to be calling me every five minutes to check on me."

Taylor's eyes widened, the hurt in her expression palpable. "I was calling because I care about you, Travis. I was worried something might have happened. I just wanted to make sure you were okay."

Travis threw his hands up in exasperation. "Well, maybe you shouldn't worry so much, alright? I can handle myself, and I don't need you constantly nagging me about where I am and what I'm doing."

The words hung in the air, and Taylor felt as if the breath had been knocked out of her. She stared at Travis, her eyes glistening with unshed tears. "Nagging you? Is that really how you see me?"

Travis seemed to realize the weight of his words, his expression softening ever so slightly. "Tay, I didn't mean-"

"No," Taylor interrupted, her voice trembling. "I think you did mean it. I was just trying to be there for you, to make sure you were safe, and you're accusing me of nagging you?"

The tension in the room reached a fever pitch, and Travis felt the familiar prickle of guilt and regret. "I'm sorry, Tay. I'm just tired, and I didn't mean to snap at you like that. I know you were worried, and I should have called."

Taylor shook her head, a few stray tears escaping down her cheeks. "You've never spoken to me like that before, Travis. I thought we were partners, that we could rely on each other. But now I feel like I'm just a burden to you."

Travis reached out to her, his heart sinking as she flinched away from his touch. "Tay, please. You're not a burden, you could never be. I'm the one who messed up here."

Taylor hugged herself, her gaze fixed on the floor. "I just want to understand, Travis. Why didn't you call? Why did you let me worry like that?"

Travis sighed heavily, the weight of his actions pressing down on him. "I honestly don't know, Tay. I was caught up in the situation at work, and I guess I just lost track of time. I didn't mean to worry you, I swear."

Taylor lifted her head, her eyes searching his face. "But you snapped at me for being worried. That's not like you, Travis. What's going on?"

Travis felt the walls he had built up start to crumble under Taylor's piercing gaze. He sank down onto the couch, running his hands over his face in frustration.

"I'm sorry, Tay. I'm just... I've been under a lot of stress lately, both at work and with everything else going on. I didn't mean to take it out on you, but when you kept calling, I guess I just snapped," he confessed, his voice laden with remorse.

Taylor tentatively sat down beside him, her heart aching at the sight of his defeated posture. "Travis, why didn't you tell me you were struggling? I'm here for you, you know that. We're supposed to be a team."

Reaching out, she gently placed her hand on his arm, her touch a silent offer of comfort and understanding.

Travis let out a shaky breath, leaning into her touch. "I don't know, Tay. I guess I was just trying to handle it all on my own, like I always do. I didn't want to burden you with my problems."

Taylor's brow furrowed, her lips pursed in a contemplative frown. "Burden me? Travis, you could never be a burden to me. We're in this together, remember? I thought you trusted me enough to share your struggles."

Travis lifted his head, his eyes shining with unshed tears. "I do trust you, Tay. More than anyone. I just... I didn't want you to worry, and I didn't want you to think I was weak or incapable of handling things on my own."

Taylor's heart clenched at the vulnerability in his expression. Scooting closer, she wrapped her arms around him, pulling him into a warm embrace.

"Oh, Travis," she murmured, her fingers gently tracing patterns on his back. "You're the strongest, most capable person I know. But that doesn't mean you have to shoulder everything alone. I'm here, and I'll always be here, to support you, no matter what."

Travis clung to her, his body trembling as the weight of his emotions threatened to overwhelm him. "I'm sorry, Tay. I'm so sorry for snapping at you and making you worry. You deserve so much better."

Taylor shushed him gently, pressing a tender kiss to his forehead. "Shh, it's okay. I forgive you, Travis. I just want you to know that you can come to me, no matter what. We'll get through this together, one step at a time."

They sat there, wrapped in each other's arms, as the minutes ticked by. The tension in the room slowly dissipated, replaced by a deep sense of understanding and renewed trust.

"I love you, Tay," Travis murmured, his voice barely above a whisper. "I don't know what I'd do without you."

Taylor's lips curved into a gentle smile, her eyes shining with affection. "And I love you, Travis. Always and forever, no matter what."

As they held each other, the weight of their earlier argument seemed to melt away, replaced by a newfound appreciation for the strength of their bond. They knew that no matter what challenges they faced, they would weather the storm together, their love a guiding light in the darkness.

Word count : 1236