CHAPTER TWENTY

ENIGMA

There's is no force on earth more powerful than a mother's love.

The news of Yerim's awakening rippled through the realms, plunging its inhabitants into a state of uneasy anticipation. Despite the looming threat of another catastrophe and the lingering desire of many to eliminate Yerim, Irene remained steadfast in her determination to protect her daughter at any cost. Trust was a luxury she could ill afford, suspicion tainting every interaction as she guarded Yerim with a mother's fierce devotion.

Amidst the chaos, Irene found herself grappling with the bewildering transformation unfolding within her daughter. Yerim's sudden shifts in behavior confounded her, leaving her adrift in a sea of uncertainty. Yet, even in the depths of her confusion, Irene's resolve remained unyielding, her unwavering love for Yerim serving as her guiding light in the darkness that threatened to engulf them both.

“Mommy, I'm sleepy..” Yerim suddenly said to her, her voice small and tired. She sought comfort from her mother, her tone reminiscent of a child longing for solace.

Yerim spent the entire day immersed in play, her boundless energy propelling her from one adventure to the next. But as the day wore on and exhaustion began to take its toll, Yerim's playful demeanor would slowly soften, her lively spirit giving way to the quiet longing for her mother's comforting embrace. Without fail, whenever fatigue crept in, Yerim would seek out her mother, her arms reaching out for the warmth and security of Irene's loving cuddles, a simple yet profound expression of the unbreakable bond between mother and child.

“Okay baby, sleep now..” Irene replied, her voice warm and soothing as she gestured for Yerim to come to her. Yerim beamed at her mother and happily walked over, settling comfortably in her lap.

They sat in Irene's chamber, the soft glow of a lamp casting a warm light over the room. Irene paused from her work, her heart swelling with love for her daughter, as she held her close, cherishing this moment of quiet togetherness.

Since waking from her slumber, Yerim had become remarkably clingy, seeking solace in the comforting presence of her mother and her Seulgi unnie. It seemed as though she couldn't bear to be apart from them, and if her desires weren't met, she wasn't shy about expressing her frustration through tantrums and tears. This sudden shift in behavior left Irene and Seulgi navigating a delicate balance between attending to Yerim's every needs.

Just like the other day, Yerim's clinginess reached a peak when she woke up to find her mother absent. In reality, Irene had slipped away to the King's palace for a crucial discussion with Azazel about the recent catastrophe Yerim had inadvertently caused. Worried that her daughter might overhear sensitive information, Irene chose to have the conversation away from her.

Meanwhile, Azazel's minions had unearthed another feathered wing from an angel deep within the forest. This discovery reignited Irene's fury; she had believed that angels were extinct in the realm of Hell. Determined to track down this celestial being, Irene issued a stern command for her minions to intensify their efforts in locating the elusive creature.

“Find them, Azazel, and bring them to me,” Irene commanded, her eyes ablaze with fury.

“Yes, your majesty,” Azazel replied, bowing respectfully before her.

Suddenly, Wendy burst into the room, panic written all over her face as she glanced at Irene. Instantly, Irene felt a surge of fear grip her heart, knowing instinctively that this pertained to her daughter. She had entrusted Wendy, Joy, and Seulgi with the task of guarding Yerim in her absence, fearing that her daughter's untamed powers could wreak havoc once again, if left unchecked.