Chapter 5

"Mommy? Daddy?" I called out as I sat up. Not noticing where I was I got up and headed to the door where I heard hushed voices. "But her parents are dead? Where does she go now? Her parents' files say they don't have any known relatives." "Poor girl." "They said the mother was pregnant with a little girl too. How tragic." "Yes, but what about Stephanie?" "With her parents dead she'll have to go into a foster care system." Mommy and Daddy are dead? Tears started to pour down my face. I had a sissy too? I was gonna be a big sister. They're all gone now. I ran to the strange bed and sobbed.

One of the ladies walked in and saw my red eyes. "Oh, dear," she said, "are you alright sweetheart?" I shook my head. "Where are my parents?" I screeched. "Dear I'm so so sorry but your parents are no longer with us. They died in the crash." I froze. 

Then I ran. No, my mommy and daddy could never die. They have the wrong kid. T

ears spilled from my eyes again. Then I saw the exit sign and raced towards it. The lady was chasing after me but a person in funny white clothes got in her way. I reached the door and pushed it open.

I ran but stopped on the sidewalk. I had stopped right before the road. I tried to move my legs forward but they wouldn't budge. 

Why is this happening!? 

Then I heard the sirens again. I stopped breathing. I fell to my knees. I couldn't breathe. I was gasping for air. Then I saw the people that took my mommy and daddy. Mommy! Daddy! Help me! Why'd you leave me! Then black.

When I woke back up I was back in the strange room. There was a mushroom stuffie on my bed with a get well soon card. I asked one of the funny dressed people to read the card for me. She told me it read, 

I'm sorry about your parents, Stephanie, but I hope a mushroom friend will help you adjust to a new lifestyle. You suffered some hearing loss in the crash so the nurses will help you adjust to the hearing aid. Best wishes, Talia. 

I thanked the nurse and hugged the mushroom. Mr Shroomington I decided would be his name. 

I'm sorry Mom, Dad, and Lil sis. I'll redeem this road-trip though and make sure that you guys get to finish it too. Now Stephanie, be good, alright? My mom's final words. I will Mom. 

I owe you guys that. After all it's all my fault you died.

I cried myself to sleep that night.