(📷) ch o9 | unexpected outbursts

I found the balcony empty when I returned with a tray of croissants. With nothing else to do, I put them back in the refrigerator, and resorted to the stillness of my room.

Tikki was asleep. The hassle must have taken her energy. I unlocked my phone, to a wallpaper of Adrien Agreste. Perhaps, Marinette fancied him. To me, he was just a friend; a good friend. How Alya knew Marinette's password was beyond me.

I was a person who did not believe much in friendship or having friends. The name Arianne rang in my mind. She was my only friend back in my world. If you excluded him, of course.

Figuring that scrolling through Marinette's phone would be a breach of privacy, I shut it down and left it by the couch. Perhaps, finding a paper and pen to sketch some inspiration I found by roaming Parisian streets would be better.

Buildings, made of stone and concrete alike, consumed my thoughts, each flashing by like a photo in my memory. Lead glided against soft parchment, and a feeling of happiness settled in my chest.

Designing a perfect countryside house for my parents was my dream. A cozy hall with a quaint mantle, old-fashioned kitchen and a balcony, one bedroom and a porch would do for the three of us.

For some reason, flashes of my real life came afresh in my mind. Mum's hazelnut, long locks that I loved to run my hands through, afternoon naps on Dad's lap – precious, tear-stained memories, stored away in a folder of my brain for the sake of safety.

A knock forced me out of my reminiscence. Perhaps it was Alya. "It's open!" I shouted, hoping she would get the clue and come in. My muscles were exhausted as it was.

I went back to my sketch when the hatch creaked open. "Would you fancy a strawberry milkshake, Sweetie?" The voice was different; definitely not Alya's.

It was Marinette's mother, Sabine, holding a tray containing a tall glass of blush pink smoothie. Beside it was a bowl containing chips. "M-mum?" I stammered, standing up from the floor. She smiled, before climbing the rest of the stairs and entering my haven.

"Seeing as you were silent all day, I thought your favorite drink might do you some good." Her smile grew concerned, as she freed her hands to cup my face. "No matter what it is, don't overdo yourself, Sweetie. Nothing is worth your pain, and your tears. You don't have to isolate yourself, you know? You have your daddy, and me."

My throat felt weirdly constricted, and I gave in to her warm embrace. We remained that way for a long while, I think. Sabine's warmth, very reminiscent of my mothers, reminded me of what I was missing in my life for a long time coming. My vision blurred, and I struggled to keep everything in, but when her palms gently brushed against my hair, I swallowed back tears.

A phone call broke our lovely moment. It was time for Sabine to get back to kneading dough. However, she did not leave until I put up as genuine a smile that I could muster. "Sweetie, remember that a boat sinks only if the water gets in. Don't you let anything negative get into your system. Okay?"

Even the concerned 'okay' was enough to send my throat into cobwebs. "Y-yes, Mum."

She smiled, one last time, before leaving via the hatch. Silence and solitude settled once more, but this time, I was feeling better. Sure, I hated being abandoned by my parents, but Sabine did not run out on me. She had real work to do, and would not back out of her daughter's childhood.

A tinge of jealousy grew against Marinette. She had caring parents, an amazing best friend, a perfect home and a fabulous partner-in-crime-fighting. What more could a girl dream for?

Returning to my sketch to forget the negative emotions, lest Monarch catches hold of me, I watched the time fly by until there was another knock; this time it was Alya.

"What have you been up to? You missed my call five times, girl! Five times! I was so worried!"

Worried.

"Thanks for being worried, Alya. I'm fine, though."

"This doesn't sound like you at all."

"It doesn't, does it?" I laughed. There was nothing that breaks itself like a heart. I stood up, and in attempt to spread the wild tornado of emotions swirling in my chest, squeezed Alya in a hug.

"Girl — Colette — what?"

Crazy laughter rang around the room. It was wild, and maddening; what brought about a shift in emotions? You won't be able to find the head and tail apart in this monologue. Why, though? Wasn't Colette supposed to be the silent, well-behaved child who would never throw a tantrum for something as simple as not getting wished on birthdays?

There was a thud, and the next thing I knew, I was being pushed to the balcony by a pair of arms stronger than Ladybug's. The hatch serving as the door to and fro the rooftop sealed shut as soon as a lone figure approached.

"Are you okay?" His emerald eyes grew big with concern. "You look like you've been . . . crying."

My hands instinctively reached my cheeks, but he had beat me to it. Leather against my skin, my stomach was on fire. There was no going back. "Who cares about the crazy, ol' Colette?"

Just a note. I'm unable to add graphics, so no banners for now. :/

How was this chapter? I suppose one chapter based on the emotional development of Colette was something this book required.

Thank you for reading!

Miyoko x