The Debate

It was around dinnertime when Indigo decided to head to the Tillman ranch. She wanted to stay back and watch the debate, but she figured Gator hadn't gone and she didn't want to see his family, only him. She grabbed the navy blue hat reading 'Stark County Sheriff', got in her car and drove the short ride to the ranch. She got out to get past the guards. "State your business" one of them said. They were all holding large guns. She held up the hat.

"Gator left this at my bar the other night, just comin' to drop it off." She tells them.

"Oh yeah? Gator's not here right now." He tells her.

"What? Where is he?" She asks.

"Debate." He informs her.

"Oh, well, I mean I could just leave it inside." She says.

"We'll take it." He says. She had a bad feeling, just a gut thing and decided she needed to go inside.

"No, that's okay." She said.

"We'll take it." He says.

"Hey, if you let me in... Free drinks at my bar, just down the street." She tells them. They look at each other.

"How much damage could she do?" One of the guards asks his friend. He shrugs.

"Go ahead." He says.

"Thank you!" She says, getting back in her car and driving in. She parks outside of the house and walks inside. She walks into the kitchen and sets the hat down on a counter. She waits there for a moment, still feeling like something is off before walking back outside. Right before she gets in her car, she hears something. Yelling? She looks around, trying to find the source of the cries for help. She sees a shed-looking structure and grabs the pocket knife from her glove box before walking over. She knocks on the door of the structure. "Hey, are you okay?" She asks.

"Who are you?" The voice asks.

"My name's Indigo, I run the bar just down the way, what's wrong?" She asks.

"You work with the Tillmans?" The voice asks her.

"No. I was just dropping something off." Indigo tells her.

"Open the door." Says the voice. Indigo cautiously opens the door and finds a small woman with long wavy blonde hair. She looks familiar.

"Wait a minute... Nadine?" Indigo asks.

"I need your help." She says. Indigo realizes she has a chain around her leg.

"Jesus. What the hell?" She asks, confused.

"In the house, there's bolt cutters, I need you to get those." She says.

"Okay, I'll be right back!" Indigo says, dashing back towards the house. She searches until she finds a small tool closet and grabs the bolt cutters, running back into the shed. "Got 'em!" She says, walking over to her. She cuts the chain.

"Thank you." Nadine says.

"Of course, uh, sorry what's going on?" Indigo asks.

"Roy. I ran away a long time ago and he found me." She says.

"What? Does Gator know about this?" Indigo asks. Nadine nods. "I'll fucking kill him." She says, looking angry.

"He wants to be good, he really does... He just wants to be like his dad more." Nadine says. Indigo nods. God, she wishes Gator wasn't involved with this shit. "God, I'm so confused right now." She says. "How do we get you out?" She asks.

"Do you have a phone?" Nadine asks.

"Yeah." Indigo says, getting the phone out of her back pocket and handing it to Nadine. Nadine dials a number and calls it, holding the phone to her ear.