Chapter 3: The Venue

Zora's POV

"Deep breath."

Ever since we left the hotel to head to the chosen venue of our school reunion, those words have served as a mantra for me, providing some measure of peace during the stressful ride. But as we got closer to our destination, it got harder and harder for me to remain calm, with my heart beating faster and faster.

I was so focused on thinking about my inevitable reunion with my tormentors that I didn't notice Lorraine was looking at me the whole time.

I was startled when I felt Lorraine's hand resting on mine, and my eyes automatically shifted toward her. That's when I noticed the understanding and caring that were mirrored in her eyes.

"Sorry." I didn't know why that word came out of my mouth, and she seemed to be confused with that as well.

"Why are you apologizing?" she asked.

I was at a loss for words, not sure how to react, and struggling with the fact that I didn't really know why I had apologized to her. Maybe it came from the deep-rooted habit I had of constantly having to apologize to everyone at school just for being in the same place as them.

There were times in my high school years when I genuinely thought I deserved the bullying I experienced. I forced myself into a school where I didn't belong and didn't feel welcome, and I felt like an outcast. Back then, I felt that my weight and perceived ugly appearance were my fault, especially since I didn't fit in with the society they lived in.

I had thought I was over that old habit, but now that I'm seeing my old classmates again, it seems like those memories are coming back, carrying with them the anguish and suffering I had experienced before.

She took a deep breath before speaking, and I could detect the concern in her voice.

"I may not fully know what you went through before transferring to our school, but I want you to understand that you've turned into someone outstanding. You're not the same person anymore; you're strong and capable of extraordinary feats. Remember your strength and take pride in all that you've achieved," she said.

I tried to smile, but I knew that it came out as forced after seeing Lorraine's reaction.

"Always keep in mind that you're not alone; I will always be with you, no matter what, and in case they start to bully you again and you need help, you can always count on me," she continued.

I felt touched hearing her words, and at the same time, I couldn't help but feel ashamed for acting this way.

She is right! I was no longer the weakling they knew, and I should take pride in everything I accomplished. I will not let a bully or a dozen bullies make me cower in fear.

When I eventually composed myself, a genuine smile emerged on my face, and for the first time, I was eager to see them again and show them who I had grown into.

"Thank you," I said.

"Can you stop saying thank you? I feel like if I'm going to charge you for every thank you you say, I will probably get rich," she added in a voice full of humor.

"But you are already rich!" I said, pointing out the obvious.

"I'm not rich; it's my parents who were rich," she said.

I thought about talking about it but decided against it when I noticed her growing irritation. I didn't want to upset her after she made me feel better about myself, but one thing is for sure: I will never stop being grateful for everything she has done for me.