Chapter 12: Tide is High

"Mr. and Mrs. Gibson, I'm Dr. Montgomery-Shepherd, I'll be covering for Dr. Pollack."

It was a strange day. For once, Fallyn and Addison weren't rounding alone. Alex had joined them, along with Meredith Grey, and their resident Dr. Bailey. And, of course, Dr. Bailey's young baby Tuck, who Fallyn had been ordered not to pay too much attention to.

"Mrs. Gibson had a preterm, premature rupture of her membranes at twenty-eight weeks." Meredith was presenting for a change. And, though it was odd for Fallyn to stand off to the side and watch while another doctor did her job, she had to admit that Grey was very confident. "She's been confined to bed rest for the last seven weeks, and has a low-grade fever."

"Can't you just schedule a C-section?" Asked Mrs. Gibson. She was agitated, and probably for good reason. Bed rest for seven weeks was brutal. "I'm ready to have this baby."

"You and me both," said her husband with a chuckle. He was an older man, wearing a cable-knit sweater.

"I want to get your blood work back before we make any further decisions," Addison replied, ignoring Mr. Gibson.

Mrs. Gibson raised her eyes skyward. She groaned. "I have to pee... again."

Her husband helped her up, though Fallyn noticed his eyes stayed on Addison the whole time. Once she was out of bed, Dr. Bailey guiding her to the bathroom, he approached her properly.

"I appreciate you taking over my wife's case. Dr. Pollack says you're the best." Fallyn could only watch as he got a little too close for comfort. He reached out to grab Addison's arm. "And— well— you bear a striking resemblance to a young Catherine Deneuve."

There was an awkward silence. Nobody besides Fallyn seemed to notice the exchange.

"Oh, you've never heard that before?" Asked Mr. Gibson, seemingly not getting the hint that Addison wasn't interested.

"Uh— no." Addison looked towards the interns somewhat guiltily, seeing that only Fallyn was watching. "You three, get in the hall."

Meredith and Alex shared a confused glance, but the three interns had no choice but to go into the hallway while Addison and Dr. Bailey continued to talk to the Gibsons.

It was a busy day, and the hall was crowded, so they had to press up against the wall while they waited.

"Catherine Deneuve..." Fallyn muttered. She crossed her arms over her chest, leaning against the wall. "Who even is Catherine Deneuve?"

"She's an actress," said Meredith blankly. She stood a bit apart from Fallyn and Alex, but was clearly still listening.

"An actress..." She mulled the words over in her head. There was a bad taste developing in her mouth, undoubtedly left there by Mr. Gibson and his antics. "Well he looks like... an old Sean Astin!"

Alex looked between the women on either side of him. "Did I miss something?"

"Mr. Gibson told the She-Shepherd that she looks like a pretty actress," Meredith replied. "I don't know what's going on with Glenn."

"I'm fine!" Fallyn snapped. Tellingly, her face was starting to go hot.

Alex laughed. "You're jealous."

"I am not jealous."

"Sure you are." Alex laughed harder. Infuriatingly. "Y'know, I didn't know you had a thing for Hobbits."

Fallyn gave him a hard look. Sometimes she wished she was a violent person, because it might be nice to smack Alex around. But she knew she couldn't get away with it.