Chapter 10 The Table Talk Part 1

(Eren's POV)

As Floch and the other Yeagerists carry out their duties, Gloria and I settle at the table, the weight of an infant nestled in my arms. Across from us sit Elizabeth and Taka, and our conversation veers into the realm of weaponry.

"These are the armaments your nation has crafted. Quite impressive, I must say," I observe, inspecting the rifle in my grasp. "They possess a distinctiveness that sets them apart from Marley's arsenal."

Elizabeth nods gravely, her features etched with determination. "Indeed. Given our limited time before Marley's next move, these weapons offer the most expedient mastery. We've already trained some of your most devoted soldiers with these arms."

Gloria interjects, her confidence palpable in her voice. "Absolutely. And considering the temporal elasticity of paths and the predominantly Eldian composition of our forces, we can expedite their training within that realm as well."

I affirm her point, acknowledging the strategic edge gained by exploiting paths' unique properties. "Agreed. We must optimize every resource and advantage at our disposal to ready our troops for the looming clash with Marley."

"Why did you shield me?" Gabi's voice pierces through the hallway, heralding the imminent arrival of Armin and Mikasa.

Mikasa's response is terse yet laden with unspoken complexities. "There's no why. I just did."

"I'm the one who ended your comrade. I'm the one who attacked the guard. Falco isn't responsible. If anyone deserves punishment, it's me," Gabi implores, her voice quivering with guilt and desperation.

"We're not here to exact revenge," Armin interjects softly, his expression reflecting a profound sadness.

"But you must want to, deep down," Gabi insists, her voice heavy with self-condemnation.

"I don't wish harm upon you. This cycle of death and vengeance... it's reminiscent of someone I once knew," Armin reflects, his words carrying a weighty significance.

As the tension mounts, the door swings open, revealing me and the others present in the room. Armin and Mikasa are visibly startled by our unexpected appearance.

"Er—" Armin starts to speak, but I swiftly raise a hand, revealing a fresh cut as a signal.

"Our meeting has been disrupted," I state icily. "Apologies, but we must postpone for now, Taka, Elizabeth."

"No trouble at all," Taka responds, his tone understanding.

As I turn back to the trio, a notion of reconciliation and dialogue takes root within me. "Since you're all here, why don't we have a discussion? Conflict isn't the only solution to Eldia's challenges," I suggest, aiming to dissolve the tension and open a path for understanding.

Just then, Floch's voice echoes through the room, breaking the momentary calm. "Yeager, Tybur, we're moving forward."

"Understood," I acknowledge from the doorway, and Armin's sharp gasp betrays his recognition. "That voice... Floch must have joined us as well."

I rise from my seat, gesturing towards the inviting chairs. "Please, take a seat. They're quite comfortable."

Mikasa, Armin, and even Gabi display hesitance as they settle into the chairs. Mikasa's voice carries a note of worry. "Where are you taking Hange and the others?"

"They'll be safe. We're simply relocating them," I assure them, hoping to alleviate their concerns and foster a more amicable atmosphere.

Armin's inquiry pierces the air, his voice laden with concern and curiosity. "Eren, we wanted to talk with you. What drove you to attack Marley alone? Did Zeke and Yelena influence your decision?"