Prologue: Agreement

A scream was heard echoing off the walls in the hideout.

Orochimaru was once again in pain.

The agony of the Third Hokage's semi-successful Jutsu radiated up from the Sanin's arms, flaring up into his chest as the decayed flesh spread slowly to his heart. He knew if he didn't find a cure soon, the Jutsu would overtake him, and he would succumb to these injuries and die.

Kabuto worked tirelessly to find a cure, but for three years, he had been unsuccessful. Orochimaru was beginning to lose faith in his servant.

"Kabuto, the medicine," he hissed as another wave of pain shot through him.

"Yes, Orochimaru-san." Kabuto moved about feverishly, rushing to ensure his master didn't suffer long.

"This isn't working, Kabuto. We need to find a cure. We need someone else. We need to find the best medic in the world."

Kabuto froze momentarily, knowing who his master was referring to, before continuing to minister the temporary pain relief to Orochimaru, keeping his eyes on the task at hand. "But... Tsunade is the Hokage of the Leaf Village. And besides, she would never help you."

Orochimaru grinned slyly. "But her apprentice would if it would protect her precious village..."

Kabuto, knowing how his master's mind worked, smiled slowly as he realized Orochimaru already had a plan.

Just then, another scream was ripped from Orochimaru as more pain worked it's way through him.

Meanwhile, deeper into the hideout, Sasuke Uchiha laid in his bed, listening to the screams echoing from his teacher.

It would be time to switch bodies soon, he knew. He had to create a plan. He had to be ready. The time was fast approaching where Orochimaru would run out of things to teach him, and then he would be ready to take his vengeance. But he had to be sure there was nothing more the Sanin could teach him before striking.

He had to bide his time.

◦•●◉✿◉●•◦

"I'm here, Shisou!" Sakura burst into the Hokage's office breathlessly, nearly late for a meeting.

She had overslept- something she never used to do, but recently seemed to be doing constantly.

"You barely made it, Sakura," her mentor grumbled. Tsunade put on a tough act, but deep down she was concerned about her favorite student. Tsunade knew that the disbandment of her team was a hard blow to her, and though it had been three years, neither of her teammates were back. Her former sensei, as a Jonin, was being sent on missions constantly, trying to track down the Akatsuki. So far, they'd been sorely unsuccessful. But Tsunade was determined to find them.

Sakura gave her master a sheepish grin, then it was down to business. "What did you call me here for, Tsunade-sama?"

Tsunade sighed. "I need you to take Shizune's shift at the hospital again today. I know I promised you today off, but I need her to handle an intensive-care patient. She's in surgery right now, and we have no one to pick up the slack. Can you please go over there and make sure things are operating smoothly?"

Sakura gave her teacher a reassuring smile, secretly relieved to have something to keep her busy. "Of course, Shisou. I'll do whatever I can to help!"

Tsunade hid a grateful smile as her student immediately grabbed her things.

"If that's all, I'm going to head over there now. Bye, Tsunade-sama!"