Chapter 2. Wildlife Explorer Gone Wrong

Mayas head was pounding. She couldn't see anything. Finally, after what felt like forever, she finally opened her eyes. As she did, she noticed the beautiful green leaves of the forest above her head. Her eyes widened a bit. She suddenly remembered what happened before she passed out and began to panic. As she got up, she finally noticed her sister, standing farther away and leaning onto a tree, looking out into a direction. Maya walked towards her.

"What are you..." Maya stopped herself from asking the question. When she finally looked over, she saw the ashes remains of their house. It was completely unrecognizable now.

Their once nice, sweet upstairs bedroom had now been reduced to ashes. This was terrible, just terrible. What we're they going to do? Maya looked at Kaylie.

"Did.. you see mom, by any chance?" She asked. Kaylie looked at Maya for the first time since she woke up. "No.. hopefully she's okay, but we won't be if we can't find somewhere to stay.." Kaylie replied. This suddenly pounded on Maya like a boulder falling on top of her. She was right- if they didn't have anywhere to go for the night, they would be left in the woods! But, to Maya, this wasn't the worst. To her sister, this was probably a living nightmare.

"I miiight know where a cave is..?" Maya said, giving suggestion to an idea. Kaylie sighed. "It better be a safe cave.." Kaylie said, but was quickly spoke over by a; "Yes!" "Follow me! I'll be our guide!" Maya said, trying to fill the mood with excitement as she led her and her sister through the woods and the forest that lay ahead of them for them today.

Luscious leaves and nature surrounded them, walking through the forest. It almost felt like the forest itself was their guardian. "This place is.." Kaylie started. "Great, right?? Yeah, great! You meant great!" Maya said. She was mostly trying to keep her mind off the negatives. "I was going to say suspicious, but whatever you say.." Kaylie finished her sentence. Maya rolled her eyes at her sister. "Aw, whatever! Hopefully we-" Suddenly, there was a snap sound in the branches, and something jumped. Maya looked over. She saw a bit of the gleaming red pelt of a creature. A fox? Maybe! But, it isn't good to chase animals through the forest, and it's weird how they were out during the day.

"What was that..?!" Kaylie asked, freaked out. "A fox, you silly! Haven't you see a wild fox before?" Maya asked her sister. She was surprised. They had been out in these woods before, when they were younger. Surely they had ran into foxes when they were little, right?

Kaylie just shook her head. Maya shrugged and continued walking. The ground was damp from previous rain, and the rain was probably going to come back at some point. As they continued to the cave, it felt as thought something was.. watching them? Hopefully nothing serious would happen from this. Then, Maya's eyes widened. "The cave! I can see it! We're almost there!" She said, picking up her pace. "Be careful-!" Kaylie called out, but Maya was already half way ahead of her. Suddenly, just as she was about to be in front of the cave, a large creature jumped in front of her. Her eyes widened as she slipped backwards, her eyes wide with fear.

"Maya!" Kaylie shouted, running over to her, but stopping when seeing the creature. Well, it wasn't a creature, it was a wolf. But the wolf was definitely bigger than average. The wolf gave her a sharp glare, they're sharp fangs bared at her. Maya tried to slide herself backwards, but the wolf just followed her out, almost like it was protecting something in the cave.

"You didn't know there was a wolf?!" Kaylie asked, clearly frustrated but also very worried for her sisters safety. "We'll it wasn't here last time!!" Maya retorted. The wolf stares at her, the glare of the animal lightening. The wolf took a few steps back, still staring at Maya and Kaylie with forest green eyes, before glancing back at the cave. This definitely wasn't a normal wolf, Maya thought. And it wasn't. Mist suddenly shrouded down on them. It confused Maya. Where would mist even come from so randomly?? Then, the mist started to clear, and the wolf was gone, but something, or someone new was there to replace it. When the mist had fully dispersed, there was a girl. She gave them both a skeptical look.

"What the..." Maya said, utterly confused. "What? Never seen a shapeshifter before?" The girl stared at them a bit longer. "Ohh.. I get it! Your both not from the woods!" Both Maya and Kaylie stared at the girl, dumbfounded. "Uhh, we lived in a-" Before Kaylie could finish speaking, the girl interrupted. "That cabin base that burned in the fire last night? Yeah, I know." She said. "Oh, by the way, I'm Ziggy, but if you wanttt, you can call me Zig!" Ziggy said, smiling a bit. "How did you..?" Kaylie started, but stopped herself from asking. "What? Know where you lived? Ah, simple! I've seen this one come from the place and walk around the forest!" Ziggy said, pointing to Maya. Ziggy almost seemed to be lying. Maya ignored this, but was also surprised to know this. She never knew that she was being spied on during her time in the woods. It was shocking, to say the least.

"So, why were you even goin to this cave anyways?" Ziggy asked. "Uh.. we were.. looking for shelter.." Kaylie said. She seemed a bit paranoid, which was understandable, seeing that they just ran into a shapeshifter, a creature that they thought never existed.

"Yeah.." Maya agreed with her sister. Ziggy nodded slowly. "Riiight.. we'll, fair warning, NEVER! And I mean NEVER, go into that cave, okay?" Ziggy said, her forest green eyes giving them both a serious glare. The two sisters got a little worried, but Maya nodded, while Kaylie said her okays. Ziggy looked at them for a moment. "Just follow me, before something not as nice gets to ya." Ziggy said, waving her hand over her shoulder for them to follow her. They had no other options here. They had to follow the shapeshifter.