Chapter 7: A Choice

Day 9,444

The royal palace was a mess. Bodies sprawled across the grounds as the blood began to dry. Those who were alive helped to gather the body. Haoran dragged his sword against the ground while he walked down the stairs wearily. He refused to turn back and did not want to be reminded of the sight before him. His grip was tight against the hilt of the sword and his palms were covered in bites from his muffled cries and screams. He did not want to trash around like a child because he lacked the energy and thought. Haoran chuckled when he saw the survivors picking up the dead bodies and swept the ashes into a large vase, previously used to collect rainwater. He did not know who to mourn for, the loss of his aunts, sisters, and uncle, or the fact that his mother was missing. Dropping the sword, Haoran knelt on the ground laughing as he wiped the tears away from his cheeks causing the dried blood to smear against his skin.

One of the surviving generals did not stop, instead he walked away carrying the body of his in-laws. Haoran's laugh grew louder. How was he going to explain to the opposite kingdom's family that their parents and son were massacred alongside his? What fault would befall him and this very empire that his father built? What would become of his father? Lowering his gaze on the ground, Haoran snickered an ugly thought blossoming in his mind. A drop of blood landed on the ground, signalling that his nose was bleeding again. He shut his eyes and allowed the tears to flow before tilting his head to wipe the blood off his nose. Haoran stood up again only to fall forward again. This time he was embraced tightly into the arms of his only medic left after the incident.

"Let it all out, Haoran," whispered Albert softly, brushing the prince's hair as he pulled him into a close hug.

"I can't," Haoran answered in a broken voice, swallowing the lump that began to form in his throat as tears fell freely against his cheeks. "I don't know how. It's too much. My uncle, sisters, and aunts are brutally murdered. My mother is missing. I need to find her, Albert. I need to search for her before those inhumane creatures take her away from me. I -"

"Stop! Stop!" Albert hugged the prince tightly to prevent him from moving as he grabbed onto his cheeks to meet his eyes. "My prince, listen to me. I have sent General Jingyi out with a search party. Your uncle is alive. My deepest condolences to your aunts and sisters. We will make sure they have a proper burial. The emperor needs to see you now. Will you come with me?"

"Uncle Jingyi is alive?" Haoran asked and when the medic nodded, he breathed out and leaned his head against the elder's chest. "We need to get you to the emperor. But, I must warn you, he is not in good condition. He is being poisoned. We managed to get the poison out of his system, but his condition is critical. He is asking for your presence - if you are alive. Thus, I am very much grateful to see you here. Shall we go to the emperor now and leave the others to tend to the injured and dead?"

Nodding at the medic, he picked up his sword and followed Albert to the royal healing halls. The whole palace was in a mess, and some began to mourn the loss of their family members, close friends, and spouses. Why? - He wondered. Haoran followed Albert into the halls where his father was resting. There were bandages all around his arms and legs. It was clear to Albert that his father was not poisoned internally, but perhaps through the wounds he obtained from the battle. As he stepped forward to take a seat next to his father, the emperor signalled for everyone in the room to leave except for Albert. Understanding the situation, they left without protest. Haoran knew that among those in the room, some would head back to mourn the loss of their family members.

"This poison is curable. It will take some time, Haoran, but in a few months. I will be able to walk again with the help of our best medic," assured the emperor while he sat up to meet his son's eyes. "This poison is not foreign to us. And, Haoran, truth be told whatever happened to you before this and whatever happened today is connected."