Chapter 10

- You wished to see us, Hokage-sama ? Yura asked as she and the rest of Team 10, accompanied by Naruto and Sakura, entered the room.

Tsunade looked up with a serious expression, inviting them to step forward. She took a deep breath and said, struggling with the words:

- The Kazekage of Suna has been kidnapped by members of an organization that most of you may not be familiar with... yet. 

It felt like the sky had collapsed on the young kunoichi. Petrified, she absorbed the news like a stab in the guts.

Gaara. The Kazekage of the Sand Village. More than just a leader to her and her companions. No, way more than that...

A friend.

- It's not possible... a whisper broke the heavy silence that had settled upon hearing the news. 

Yura turned her head towards the noise. Naruto, fists clenched, stared at the floor.

The young girl returned her attention towards the hokage. Tsunade could only witness the distress of the young ninjas as they swallowed the grim news she had just delivered. She remained seated, arms crossed, with a sad look in her eyes. 

- Which organization... Shikamaru began, before being interrupted by Jiraya, perched at the window behind the Hokage's desk.

- The Akatsuki, the old sage cut with a sigh. That's what they call themselves. A group of S-rank ninjas, who deserted their villages, authors of numerous crimes, and all listed in the bingo book.

The name sent a shiver down Yura's spine.

- But what is their goal ? Sakura asked with a shaky voice. 

She stood besides Naruto, one hand on his shoulder, trying to offer him some comfort. She knew the strong bond between the young ninja and the Kazekage.

- Their goal... the old sage repeated, in a monotone voice. 

He exchanged a glance with Tsunade before turning back to the group, lingering on Naruto for a moment and then shifting his gaze towards Yura. 

- The true objectives of the Akatsuki are still unclear. We don't know their ultimate goal as of today. What we do know, however, is what they are searching for to achieve their ends, whatever those may be.

- What they are searching for...? Yura repeated, confused. 

- The Akatsuki didn't target the village of Suna randomly, let alone their Kazekage. You see, what interests them is not Gaara, but what he possesses. Inside of him.

The sentence hit Yura like a slap in the face.

- The Tailed Beasts, Shikamaru quickly understood. That's why they targeted Gaara. But then...

He paused in his reflection, realizing too quickly where it was leading. He turned slowly towards the blonde ninja, taken aback. 

- Naruto...

- You got it right, Shikamaru, Jiraya confirmed. The Akatsuki is after the tailed beasts, which means Naruto is also one of their targets. 

Yura remained frozen. The tailed beasts, so that was it. She now understood the insistent look from Jiraya earlier. 

Naruto exchanged a quick glance with the young girl. 

"He knew, that's for sure," Yura guessed. It was impossible that in nearly three years of training with Jiraya, the sage hadn't mentioned anything to him. "But why would Naruto hide such a thing from me", she thought. 

- I want both of your teams ready to depart tonight. For Suna. We don't know Gaara's whereabouts, but I'm afraid the only place you will find any clues is in the Wind Village. Kankuro tracked the culprits' path for several kilometers before...

She grimaced.

- ...before being unable to follow them anymore.

Sakura gasped in surprise, and Yura covered her mouth. He wasn't...

- Don't worry, Tsunade reassured them. He has been taken care of in the emergency block of his village. His vitals are stable.

- Hokage-sama, with all due respect... Shikamaru hesitated, his brows furrowed. By going on a mission to search for this organization, especially with Naruto, aren't we playing right into their hands? 

Choji vigorously nodded.

- It's like walking into the lion's den at this point.

Sakura shook her head, meeting the gazes of the two boys.

- I understand Master Hokage's decision, she declared. We all know Naruto. The moment he would have heard about Gaara, he would have gone searching for him anyway, whether we wanted it or not. Better to properly supervise him with experienced ninjas. Isn't that right, Master Tsunade?

Naruto grimaced. His teammate knew him all too well.

Tsunade nodded, a knowing smile on her face.

- Brilliant, Sakura. You're absolutely right. I have trained you well. 

The village leader stood up from her desk, then, after exchanging a brief glance with her fellow member of the legendary trio, turned her attention back to the young shinobis standing before her.

- Get yourselves ready. I want you at the village gates by 8 p.m., ready to leave. Kakashi, Asuma, and five other jonins will join you for this mission. You are dismissed. 

The young ninjas nodded firmly before slipping away, and Tsunade sank back into her chair, sighing.

"I hope I am not making a huge mistake", she thought, as she could feel Jiraya' insisting glance on her from the other side of the room. 

She sighed. 

She did not have a choice after all.